Bug - Not A Bug Beecore ends when you free the king, not when you defeat the NS

antimarty

Mafia (r9511) thought that beecore ended for me when I killed the NS, but the restrictions continue until you free the king. This is relevant to folks who complete the ascension quests but then want to hang around in beecore for some reason, e.g. farming honey or spading stuff.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Here is the function KoLmafia uses to determine if you are in Beecore:

Code:
	public static final boolean inBeecore()
	{
		// All Beecore restrictions are lifted once you free the King
		return !KoLCharacter.kingLiberated() &&
			KoLCharacter.ascensionPath.equals( "Bees Hate You" );
	}

What did you see that made you think KoLmafia thought Beecore was over when you killed the NS?

Last edited:

antimarty

What did you see that made you think KoLmafia thought Beecore was over when you killed the NS?

I killed the NS, and all of mafia's beecore stuff disappeared. The 'B' foods appeared in the consumables list, for example, and the bee enounter window timers disappeared (and fighting a bee didn't make a new bee window appear).

Visiting my char sheet, refreshing the session, logging in and out, restarting mafia didn't do anything to fix it.

slyz

Developer
If you haven't liberated the King yet, what happens when you type "get kingLiberated" in the gCLI?

antimarty

If you haven't liberated the King yet, what happens when you type "get kingLiberated" in the gCLI?

I did free him already, after playing a day's worth of turns post-NS to farm up the honey outfit. Whatever "interesting" state mafia might have gotten into is probably lost.

The game is down right now due to the db spider infestation, but my _prefs file says "kingLiberated=true" for what it's worth.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I killed the NS, and all of mafia's beecore stuff disappeared. The 'B' foods appeared in the consumables list, for example, and the bee enounter window timers disappeared (and fighting a bee didn't make a new bee window appear).
That is very strange.

There are two places in KoLmafia where we set the "king liberated" flag.

1) When you log in and we read api.php and it says "freedralph=1"
2) When you visit lair6.php (the top of the Naughty Sorceress's lair) in the Relay Browser and we see the URL "ascend.php" in the page text.

I just finished day 1 of another Beecore run, so it will be a little while before I can fetch the page text for visiting the top of the tower while there is still a prism there, but I don't understand why it would suddenly decide for you that King Ralph was free if there is the prism URL rather than the gash URL on the page.

It's never done that for me.

Visiting my char sheet, refreshing the session, logging in and out, restarting mafia didn't do anything to fix it.
So in other words, when you logged in and we fetched api.php, KoL itself said "freedralph=1". KoL itself said that you freed the king, and KoLmafia believed it.

I think you did free the king.

Winterbay

Could it be a potential effect of the database errors and that somehow the flag got set in KoL but the effects of setting said flag did not propagate? Or something similar?

antimarty

I think you did free the king.

No, I definitely didn't free the king by mistake. Post-NS I was still in beecore, farming up honey in bee fights, taking damage from my 'B' gear, unable to eat my 'B' food, and so on. The king was waiting in his prism when I went to free him, and when I freed him, beecore ended as expected.

I assumed it was a simple bug like the thread title indicates, but maybe it was just an oddball glitch induced by lag or something (would mafia ever put the king back into the prism if he were mistakenly marked free?). I think it's worth watching for, but after your explanations I'm not really expecting to see it again.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I defeated the NS in Beecore. My Bees: counter is still in my side panel.
I went at looked at the imprismed King. I see the prism, no gash. My Bees: counter is still in my side panel.
(I saved the page HTML. The text that KoLmafia interprets to recognize that the king is free is not there.)
I went and visited the council. They told me to free the king.
I went somewhere else and fought a bee. My Bees: counter is still showing.

> ash my_path()

Returned: Bees Hate You

> get kingLiberated

false
KoLmafia is well aware that Beecore is not over.

I see no bug.