New Content - Rejected Barrel Full of Barrels

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
(Does anybody use this?)

We have a fancy module - BarrelDecorator - to do special Stuff with this.
RequestEditorKit and GenericRequest and AdventureRequest have special code to handle it.
Supposedly, you can automate it.

In my current work of looking through which requests use turns, I saw references to barrel.php and needed to figure out what needed to be done.

Turns out, KoL has apparently moved that into a choice adventure.

You see a link to barrel.php in the Mountains, but if you take it,:

Code:
barrel.php
choice.php?forceoption=0
choice.php?whichchoice=1099&pwd&option=1&slot=00

... it redirects to choice #1099

That tells me everything I need to know about turn usage, but until/unless somebody modifies KoLmafia to use that choice rather than barrel.php, we have a lot of dead code.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Uh huh.

And we have fancy code to to decorate the page for you, showing predicted results and so on.
For barrel.php. Which means, it doesn't do that any more.

Magus_Prime

Huh. I could have sworn that I saw the decorations and predicted results the last time I visited, which was a week or so ago. The character with access to the barrels is overdrunk but I will check first thing tomorrow.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Really? I literally just went there.

Code:
> get relayShowSpoilers

true

Nothing. No decorations.

Code:
> get barrelGoal

> get barrelLayout

?????????

> get lastBarrelSmashed

I smashed a barrel.

Code:
> get barrelGoal

> get barrelLayout

?????????

> get lastBarrelSmashed

Definitely not working.

Magus_Prime

My recollection, perhaps incorrect, was that none of the barrels on the first "screen" were decorated but after turning the crank they were decorated.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I tried that. Certain barrels were decorated with a "!" - but that's from having a Barrel Shrine, not something that KoLmafia does.
There should have been tooltips, showing probabilities of various results.
No go. Instead there were the KoL tooltips "A barrel" and "A broken barrel".

Veracity

Developer
Staff member

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Before August 25, 2015, KoLmafia had good support for automating the Barrel Full of Barrels. You could set barrelGoal to specify what you wanted, and then automate - using the GUI or the CLI adventure command or the ASH adventure() function - for 12 turns.

On that day, KoL changed, and KoLmafia could no longer do that; the Barrel Full of Barrels ceased to be a functional “adventure”.

Which is to say, for more than seven years, no working script has used that as an adventure.

Not to say you can’t write a script to go there. Just that no working script will think it is an “adventure”.

Seven years later, you can’t even try; we removed it.

Long since time for scripts like CanAdv to remove code that refers to things that have been obsolete for seven years.

By the way, as of two weeks after that date, there was no need to “unlock” that location; it has been available since turn 1. All the more reason that you don’t need canAdv to help you decide if you can go there.

taltamir

I now recall that I did make a BR about it years ago

could probably go ahead and close that one too as a wontfix.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I now recall that I did make a BR about it years ago

could probably go ahead and close that one too as a wontfix.
Yeah. It's dead.