Bug - Fixed Bad stats for ASCII art

smorgas

When I look at "Location Details" for the chasm, the last entry reads:

--
Some Bad ASCII Art (special)
Hit: 100%, Evade: 100%
HP: 76, XP: 1.00
--

This is at 53 moxie, when the ASCII art was in fact able to demolish me. The other entries for the chasm appear accurate. For example:

--
XXX pr0n (12%)
Hit: 0%, Evade: 0%
HP: 72, XP: 12.05
---

I saw that there was a fix to the ASCII's HP a while back, but it looks like its stats are still wrong. It seems to be linked to an erroneously low ML, which would explain the 1 xp.

I'm running Mafia v14.3, with no weird modifications, on Mac OS 10.6. Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks!

- S

Theraze

Problem is, it isn't spaded... anything unspaded will say a similar low XP.

Now, if you have proper spading information, we can update it... otherwise...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Now that you can get this monster via FAX, it should be eminently spadable. Go do it!
Until then....won't be fixed.

Theraze

Oh, does fax work with semirare monsters? Thought they weren't copy-able as well. That should help people's spading. :)

StDoodle

Minion
Fought 9 of these (fax, putty, camera, arrow) with dwarvish gear, making sure to have no ML adjustments in effect. Results:

• Attack: 84, 85, 84, 87, 87, 85, 86, 84, 84
  • Defense: 73, 79, 80, 77, 79, 79, 77, 77, 77
  • HP: 77, 77, 77, 77, 84, 77, 77, 77, 77

If someone better than me at statistics & mechanics could parse that into actual values, that'd be awesome.

Theraze

85 attack/defense, 80 hp. All values fall within the +- 5% variance.

Attack as 85, has a possible range of 81-89.
Defense is 85, which drops after the 90% cut to 77. This gives it a range of 73-80.
HP is 80, which has a possible range of 76-84.

StDoodle

Minion
It just seemed odd, since these are sup'd to have a distribution such that the unmodified number is the most frequent. Also, is mafia still using the pre-ceil(0.9) numbers for defense? Always? This seems like a good deal of confusion from many different sources (not just mafia).

Theraze

Mafia should have the full number in, which then gets turned to the 90% number internally. On my copy, it had HP: 72 Def: 85 before (with Atk: unknown). Updated HP and added Atk, left Def alone.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
The values in monsters.txt look different from what was reported in the OP so I'm going to assume this is Fixed.

Darzil

Developer
85 attack/defense, 80 hp. All values fall within the +- 5% variance.

Attack as 85, has a possible range of 81-89.
Defense is 85, which drops after the 90% cut to 77. This gives it a range of 73-80.
HP is 80, which has a possible range of 76-84.

I know this is old, but StDoodles spading would suggest 75 for HP (although using a 1 hp damage on it til the HP estimate changes would have given more accuracy). HP of 75 would give a range of 72-78, with 78 appearing as 84, and the rest appearing as 77. Hp of 80 would give a range of 76-84, with 76 and 77 appearing as 77, and the rest as 84. The much higher occurance of 77 implies 75 HP.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I know this is old, but StDoodles spading would suggest 75 for HP (although using a 1 hp damage on it til the HP estimate changes would have given more accuracy). HP of 75 would give a range of 72-78, with 78 appearing as 84, and the rest appearing as 77. Hp of 80 would give a range of 76-84, with 76 and 77 appearing as 77, and the rest as 84. The much higher occurance of 77 implies 75 HP.

Are the values currently in monsters.txt correct or not? If they are not then what should they be and why are those numbers "better" or more accurate than what numbers are there? I'm trying to close an 8 month old bug report. Thanks.

Theraze

I think Darzil is saying that HP is actually 75, not 80. The other updates which were implemented are right. Since the dwarvish war mattock glows blue once per 7 HP, the 77 hp means it has 77 or less, and 84 means it has 84 or less... 75 HP would better fall into that range, since it would only have one 84-displayed result.