Feature Add "use Rusty Hedge Trimmers" to Twins Peak hotel choice adventure results, like with "stone wool" in hidden temple.

VladYvhuce

Stone wool (item number 5643) gives Stone Faced (effect number 1031). If you visit the Hidden Temple (zone number 280) with Stone Faced active, it takes you to Fitting In (choice adventure number 582). After choosing your path (such as getting the Nostril of the Serpent, or resetting the Mayam Calendar), you're prompted to use another Stone Wool. This all works well.

The Twins Peak hotel and Rusty Hedge Trimmers is less complicated, yet I still wonder why Hidden Temple gets a reminder to use Stone Wool, but Twins Peak hotel doesn't get a reminder to use Rusty Hedge Trimmers. When used before having lit the Twins Peak pyre, the Rusty Hedge Trimmers (item number 5115) takes you directly to the Lost in the Great Overlook Lodge (Choice adventure number 606). But there is no prompt to use another. My suggestion is to add a prompt to use another, like with what happens when prompted to use the Stone Wool.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Hidden Temple gets a reminder to use a stone wool when you’ve passed an NC and have a stone wool. There is no downside to using the wool, since none of the available options will fail.

Twin Peaks is different, since the various choices depend on Item Drop, Stench Resistance, jar of oil, or Init.

I could see a relay warning if you have what it takes to succeed at a choice and have rusty hedge trimmers.

In fact, it has annoyed me for years that I have to /use rusty hedge trimmers to force a choice when I am ready.

Having a Relay warning or something to provide that option iff you can fulfill an unsolved choice sounds good.

But, it’s a lot more complicated than the Hidden Temple.

VladYvhuce

The options won't fail with stone wool, true. However, the prompt for using another Stone Wool doesn't check to see if you've got the McGuffin Diary, which means you could be wasting a Stone Wool if you didn't want to do any of the other options. Without the Diary, even if you have the Nostril Of The Serpent, you won't get the "The one with the cute little lightning-tailed guy on it" option at Unconfusing Buttons (choice adventure 584).

And Lost In the Great Overlook Lodge has an option to just leave. So, I'm not sure that that would be any different from accidentally spending a Stone Wool at the temple (or from inventory). It would just need a check to see if you've got another Rusty Hedge Trimmers.

While fool-proofing everything is an admirable goal, you can never fully protect people from themselves. The current setup doesn't protect from accidental Stone Wool use, so why go in with plans to protect from accidental hedge trimmer use? Though, having future plans to protect both would be a good idea.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
My thought was to provide a Relay Warning before adventuring in Twin Peak if 1) you have rusty hedge trimmers and 2) you can successfully pass an NC.

It is not to "protect against accidental hedge trimmer use", but to offer you a chance to use the hedge trimmers by clicking on the icon if there is at least one successful NC available to you. It would NOT offer to use hedge trimmers if it is not useful.

VladYvhuce

I'm not against that idea. I was just pointing out that if the relay warning thing is overly complex to do, that the hidden temple doesn't have relay warning, but rather there's the prompt to use another stone wool after the stone wool adventure is triggered, similar to how if you have additional a-boo clues and use one, you'll get the prompt to use another. Anything to help with the overlook would be appreciated.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Yeah. A “use another rusty hedge trimmers” if you have one would be like the A-Boo clue ad stone wool thing.

I’ll come up with something, by and by. I won’t ascend (and test and maybe get some response text for tests) until the June IOTM comes out, though, just in case it will help me in my one and only run in the new challenge path. :)