Feature - Implemented add mp regen and hp regen maximizer keywords

I was always puzzled by the fact that "mp regen" didn't work as a maximizer option, and you had to put in "0.5 mp regen min, 0.5 mp regen max". So, I got curious, and started poking at the code. That made sense, then, as to why - but as I poked at it further, it looked pretty trivial to just add in "mp regen" as an actual keyword (and hp regen, while I was at it), so I did. I also changed the defaults/pulldown to have hp/mp regen in them. My assumption is this is vastly more intuitive/easier than before.

Attachments

• maximizer_regen.patch
    2.1 KB · Views: 32

Bale

Minion
I would agree that based on people's previous posts this would be vastly more intuitive and based on my own experience it would be easier.

I would appreciate this.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
11187. I didn't add "hp regen" to the default list, since it wasn't there before, but the updated "mp regen" listing should lead people to assume it works (if they don't assume it works without checking the list).

11187. I didn't add "hp regen" to the default list, since it wasn't there before, but the updated "mp regen" listing should lead people to assume it works (if they don't assume it works without checking the list).

Shrug. Fair enough, it's not a very useful maximizer command since as soon as you've perm'd cocoon, you'll never care about HP regen again, but I'd still recommend including it for completeness's sake. Out of curiosity, why not? Just didn't want to make the default maximizer list any larger?

Theraze

The current list already shows the .5 hp regen min, .5 hp regen max, which is functionally equivalent to your hp regen keyword, but lets people know that they can also request either side.

The current list already shows the .5 hp regen min, .5 hp regen max, which is functionally equivalent to your hp regen keyword, but lets people know that they can also request either side.

Er, what? No? The current list (at least, what's in defaults.txt, you may have maximized that yourself in the past so it's saved) had only mp regen, or at least the "old" way - ".5 mp regen min, .5 mp regen max". The point of the patch was to replace that with just "mp regen" (and "hp regen") to make it more intuitive for folks. Putting it another way, a ton of the value of doing the change is lost if we don't also change the pulldown, since 99% of the folk using the maximizer don't look at the src to figure out what the possible modifiers are. :)

Catch-22

I was looking for "hp regen" in the maximizer the other day but I gave up assuming that I was just doing it wrong, so thanks :)

Theraze

Ah... thought they were both in. Ah well. I looked at the patch and its differences, but it's been so long... about 12 hours between checking the patch and writing the response... ahh!

I was looking for "hp regen" in the maximizer the other day but I gave up assuming that I was just doing it wrong, so thanks :)

heh, indeed - you were, up until now. I had the same questions, and voila! Itch scratched.

That being said, though - lostcalpolydude, Catch-22's comment is exactly why I recommend including "hp regen" in the default list of modifiers - that's essentially the entirety of the documentation for the majority of people out there.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I never actually look at that dropdown. Is a huge list really not a problem?

There is a help button that brings up documentation, and those should be added there (there is currently nothing about HP/MP regen, unless I missed it in my 20 seconds of skimming it just now). It seems like the actual provided documentation should be the documentation rather than a list that people are meant to interact with.

I never actually look at that dropdown. Is a huge list really not a problem?

There is a help button that brings up documentation, and those should be added there (there is currently nothing about HP/MP regen, unless I missed it in my 20 seconds of skimming it just now). It seems like the actual provided documentation should be the documentation rather than a list that people are meant to interact with.

Well, 2 points:

- I don't believe adding one more item to the huge list is going to be the straw that broke the camel's back, and indeed there's value there in spelling out the possible options. (hence me prolonging this thread... :)).
- I do really believe that for the average user, the documentation is that pulldown of all the options. I'm happy to take a stab at rewriting the docs to more fully flesh out the details (or better, move it to the wiki and have the help button open up the right wiki page?), but the help button is what people hit when they can't figure out how to make it work in the first place, and I'd love kolmafia to "just work" for folk. Putting it another way, it took me personally quite a while to figure out you could even enter in your own arbitrary maximizer patterns - I thought the pulldown list was the sum total of what you could do!

So, what's the preference? I'm best served by taking a stab at rewriting the help docs to explain the possible options to folk?

roippi

Developer
My preference is that we teach people how to properly use the maximizer. If better dynamic visual clues or documentation is the way to do that, let's do that.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Long lists of commands are a problem, at least for people like me. On my laptop some of the 'default' dropdowns get longer (vertically) than what can be displayed on my screen. Since there is no detection of this and thus no scrollbar (which I understand to be a Java issue and not something that is easily addressed by mafia development - I know I couldn't figure it out) making a list longer would not be a preference. However, since the default can be replaced by a most recently used list of user specified size, the size of the default list is no longer relavent to me. Since there is no easy way to refresh the MRU with the defaults ATM I'm all in favor of efforts to make the Help more complete and training users that Help really can help. I have to say, I had no idea what "0.5 mp regen min, 0.5 mp regen max" did so knowing that there is a more accessible synonym is helpful to me.