Acquire not... acquiring?

Egs

I apologize if this is in the wrong place but since I'm not sure if this is a bug or not I posted here instead Bug Reports.

For example, if I use "acquire 1 nasal spray" it then returns
You need 1 more Knob Goblin nasal spray to continue.
and does nothing else.
Shouldn't it be swapping to the Knob Goblin Guard outfit and trying to buy it?

If I use "buy 1 nasal spray" then it gives this:
Searching for "knob goblin nasal spray"...
Saving outfit Backup...
Outfit saved
Putting on Knob Goblin Elite Guard Uniform...
Equipment changed.
Purchasing Knob Goblin nasal spray (1 @ 150)...
You acquire an item: Knob Goblin nasal spray
You spent 150 Meat
Purchases complete.
Putting on Backup...
Equipment changed.
Which is functioning as intended.
So, am I missing something important here with acquire() or is it just not working right?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
"buy" will always buy from NPC stores of the mall regardless of settings because you are explicitly telling it to buy.
"acquire" will obey any and all settings to determine what valid sources are. You can tell it to use or not use things in your closet, to buy or not buy from NPC stores and to buy or not buy from the mall.

Knob Goblin nasal spray comes from the lab. Therefore, you need to have "buy items from NPC stores" enabled.

Edit: we used to have that setting on by default for new users. A while back, I changed all the defaults to not do unexpected things - like consuming resources - and turned it off. Having done so, I've seen lots of questions like this one. I guess there is no one "correct" way to default the setting that will be intuitive to everybody. :(

Last edited:

Egs

<snip>Therefore, you need to have "buy items from NPC stores" enabled.
Ahh, so I did miss something important then.

Edit: we used to have that setting on by default for new users. A while back, I changed all the defaults to not do unexpected things - like consuming resources - and turned it off. Having done so, I've seen lots of questions like this one. I guess there is no one "correct" way to default the setting that will be intuitive to everybody. :(
I know, UI design isn't easy when people have conflicting expectations. :( Although, it would help if it gave the reason for why it wasn't buying anything instead of the current output.

Theraze

Except that it's not that it isn't buying... it's that it isn't considering it as a possibility. Checking through all possible disabled options would greatly increase how long it would take to fail...