New Content 2023 <s>Nerf</s> Improvements Day

VladYvhuce

While I'm sure some people won't like that, it could be helpful for someone looking for the hobo glyph there. It took me 3 ascensions to find that one, due to running out of evil to fight in that area.

There's a new issue caused by this change:

With the threshold for finding the boss down at 13, it's now regularly possible that adventurers will get evil in the Defiled Cranny down to 0 before fighting the boss (ghuol swarm with 144 ml, slay the dead and gravy boat clears 14 evil). When this happens, KoL still shows the zone as open for adventuring, but the evilometer reports that evil is 0 in that zone. All open zones have an evil of 0, it erroneously tells you that the bonerdagon is ready to be fought. Note that this is all native KoL behaviour, not a KoLmafia-specific issue. I've reported this issue in KoL, but I suspect that this issue may be here to stay for some time.

It's worth noting that this is probably not a new bug, because it was possible to summon monsters to reduce evil down to 0 previously, but it happens by accident from time to time now, meaning that players are now negatively impacted by this bug. It breaks ascension scripts sometimes, because there's no easy way to tell that the Defined Cranny isn't actually complete. The preferences that track evil tell you it's 0, and can_adventure($location[The Defiled Cranny]) returns false.

Possible solutions to consider include:
1. A set of preferences for having slain the subzone-bosses
2. Updating can_adventure() to correctly indicate that the sub-zones are still available, despite evil being at 0.

katyarn

The 8-Bit Realm has gotten a bit of a facelift, including a new acquisition method for the digital key.

Two new items are available at the crackpot mystic's shed:
pixel bread
pixel whiskey

Attachments

• new items.txt
    764 bytes · Views: 0

katyarn

A new pet rock has been added but I haven't found the full info on it. Familiar ID 291: Pixel Rock, with a hatchling named pixel rock. desc id 827961712

1674255054774.png

katyarn

There are four new zones:
adventure.php?snarfblat=563 The Fungus Plains
adventure.php?snarfblat=564 Hero's Field
adventure.php?snarfblat=565 Vanya's Castle
adventure.php?snarfblat=566 Megalo-City
and the treasure house:
place.php?whichplace=8bit&action=8treasure

1674257715937.png
1674257856457.png

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Huh. At the end of my turns today - day two of a Normal Standard run - I was sitting at the Lair, having qualified as #2 in all three contests. I had 8 turns left and all the ingredients to make all the keys - accept for the fact that I had only 2 fat loot tokens. So I shrugged and figured I'd spend about 15 turns right after rollover to get another token and then charge up to the tower to free the king.

Talk about being caught in exactly the wrong state by this update: you can no longer make a digital key from 30 white pixels. ;)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
When I have the continuum transfunctioner equipped, the "score" is displayed in the charpane.
The font color determines which zone doubles base "points" from monsters (100 vs. 50) as well as the "bonus points" (which depend on particular attributes.)
We use charpane.php rather than api.php for certain paths which have things in the charpane which are not in api.
I think we will need to do that for 8bit adventure locations, as well, and parse the color and current points.
We can parse new regular and bonus points from the winning a fight in the zone.

charpane HTML examples:

Code:
<tr><td align=right><span class='nes' style='line-height: 14px; font-size: 12px;'>Score:</span></td><td align=left><font color=black><span class='nes' style='line-height: 14px; font-size: 12px;'>570</span></font></td></tr>
<tr><td align=right><span class='nes' style='line-height: 14px; font-size: 12px;'>Score:</span></td><td align=left><font color=blue><span class='nes' style='line-height: 14px; font-size: 12px;'>770</span></font></td></tr>

Fight HTML:

Code:
<span class='nes'>100 POINTS!</span>
<span class='nes'>+300 BONUS POINTS!</span>

cannonfire says perfect play will let you get the digital key for 10000 points in 25 turns - 400 points per turn.
That would be an example of a perfect combat, I guess, assuming bonus points max out at 300.

(Considering that I collected 30 white pixels in 6 turns by reminiscing a ghost and backing up 5 times - collecting 5 per ghost - this is certainly a nerf wrapped in new content. 6 turns with no fiddliness vs. 25 turns with a lot. Sort of how I personally felt about copperhead vs. pirates, oh those many years ago.)

Magus_Prime

Here's Manuel's take on the new monsters:
Manuel says that 'Blader' (2270) has attack 30, but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Blader' (2270) has defense 20, but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Blader' (2270) has HP 20, but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Blader' (2270) 'Initiative +100%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Blader' (2270) has phylum construct, but KoLmafia says it is none
Manuel says that 'Blader' (2270) has article 'a', but KoLmafia says it is ''

Manuel says that 'Met' (2268) has attack 20, but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Met' (2268) has defense 20, but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Met' (2268) has HP 20, but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Met' (2268) 'Never wins initiative', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Met' (2268) has phylum construct, but KoLmafia says it is none
Manuel says that 'Met' (2268) has article 'a', but KoLmafia says it is ''

Manuel says that 'Tackle Fire' (2269) has attack 20, but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Tackle Fire' (2269) has defense 20, but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Tackle Fire' (2269) has HP 30, but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Tackle Fire' (2269) 'Initiative +50%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Tackle Fire' (2269) has element hot, but KoLmafia says it has attack element none and defense element none
Manuel says that 'Tackle Fire' (2269) has phylum construct, but KoLmafia says it is none
Manuel says that 'Tackle Fire' (2269) has article 'a', but KoLmafia says it is ''

Alium

Thank you for the super quick support of the new 8-bit realm!

On r27109 the new prefs 8BitScore and 8BitColor did not get reset upon ascending. They did get updated to proper values when the continuum was equipped.

Code:
equip acc1 continuum transfunctioner
Preference 8BitScore changed from 10,040 to 0
Preference 8BitColor changed from green to black

The cyrpt issue I mentioned above is still a real problem. Should that discussion happen here, or should I open a new issue for it specifically?

Magus_Prime

January 30 - You (your character) can now only enter the astral gash (ascend) once per in-game day (between two rollovers).
January 30 - Adventure absorption from monsters in the Grey You challenge path has been limited to 500 per day, to squash some degenerate path-dropping farming behavior.