Bug - Fixed "ode to booze" not showing up after it has been cast

kotinka

Tried in version 14.8 weekly executable and with daily update release 10128.
Searched forum, not already noted.

1 - apply "ode to booze" (I use the Clan of Meat & Loathing's browser based buffbot http://kol.obeliks.de/buffbot/buff).
2 - wait for notification from browser that buff has been applied.
3 - refresh status in KolMafia.
4 - check to see if "ode to booze" has been applied in the list of active effects.
5 - PROBLEM, despite numerous refreshes, "ode to booze" does not appear in the active effects and the item manager shows the lesser adventures / drunk values.
6 - close KolMafia and restart it, log on again. "Ode to booze" is now showing and the values in the item manager reflect this.

I haven't tried this using one of the buff links from within KolMafia.
No debug log generated.

slyz

Developer
I use that buffbot almost every day, and never noticed this. Instead of doing a "refresh status", simply open the Relay browser, or refresh the charpane if the Relay Browser is already open.

Terion

Or, if it's being really stubborn, go to your character page in the relay browser (click on your charater's name at the top of the charpane on the left.)

I've had it occur in the past where doing a right-click refresh in the charpane still used the incorrect data that Mafia had; it was probably due to a bug at the time that's since been fixed. But it still trained me to go to the Character page if I absolutely wanted to be certain about an effect's length or my drunkeness or something.

mad dudy

having the chat on should solve the problem of mafia not showing the new buff. i don't think kol has any way to find out if you got buff from someone till you refresh the page or the chat tells you so.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
2 - wait for notification from browser that buff has been applied.
3 - refresh status in KolMafia.
4 - check to see if "ode to booze" has been applied in the list of active effects.
5 - PROBLEM, despite numerous refreshes, "ode to booze" does not appear in the active effects and the item manager shows the lesser adventures / drunk values.
Based on what you said you did, I'm inclined to mark this Not A Bug. The "Refresh Status" button visits the Char Sheet. Buffs are not listed on the Char Sheet. Therefore, there is no reason to expect KoLmafia to learn that Ode To Booze is up by visiting that page.

However, I can see why one might expect that the Char Pane, say, be visited by Refresh Status, rather than the Char Sheet. Of course, some people have been surprised that their Inventory wasn't updated by Refresh Status, so I don't think there's a universal "expectation" about exactly what that button should do.

I'm open to the idea of making Refresh Status get the Char Pane, not the Char Sheet, but I'd be interested in the community's opinion. Look at the two sheets and decide which one is most important. The Char Sheet has skills - but we should recognize when you learn those, anyway. Ditto for equipment changes - which will be picked up when you Refresh Inventory on the Item Manager.

In any case, as written, this is Not a Bug with possibly a hidden Feature Request implied.

Edit: Actually, I take that back: effects ARE listed on the Char Sheet. We just don't parse them from there.

We should - and that would fix this.

Last edited: