Bug - Fixed 10033 broken??

Winterbay

Yep, it appears that anything above 10032 is not fully there due to, most likely, a compiling error somewhere along the line.

slyz

Developer
The problem seems to be the import added in net.java.dev.spellcast.utilities.ActionPanel:
Code:
[javac] D:\dloads\KoLMafiaUpdates\kolmafia\lib\net\java\dev\spellcast\utilities\ActionPanel.java:44: package net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.listener does not exist
[javac] import net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.listener.ThreadedListener;

shoptroll

Would it be possible to do a fork build for all the back-end changes schwei has been making? No offense, but checking in code that doesn't compile is incredibly sloppy (I know I would get yelled at for something like this at my day job) and I've noticed that the stability of the application's daily builds has decreased a bit since a lot of the changes for Java 6 compatibility and multi-threading (based on the commit changes) have started. I know this is part of the risk with daily builds, but I expect a number of people use dailies for support with new content as opposed to back-end features.

tl;dr: Has there been any consideration of an "experimental" branch for sandboxing new features or architectural changes?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
As I suspected... there's LOTS of compile errors that somehow weren't noticed when building.

I imagine they "somehow" weren't noticed because they didn't happen on hola's machine, since his view had the new file that he forgot to add to svn. I've sent him e-mail. I expect he'll check in the file, by and by.

i would like to note that r10038 also don't work

Why would you like to note that? Considering that the file missing from 10033 hasn't been checked in yet, that is completely expected.

No offense, but checking in code that doesn't compile is incredibly sloppy.

I'm sure that you've never created a new file and forgot to check it in to version control. Especially when there are 80 other existing files with changes in them, as part of the change set.

Yeah. Incredibly sloppy.

Sheesh.

Last edited:

GValko

So that people realize that the problem is ongoing with the more recent compilations, and that downloading them won't fix it?

shoptroll

I'm sure that you've never created a new file and forgot to check it in to version control. Especially when there are 80 other existing files with changes in them, as part of the change set.

Yeah. Incredibly sloppy.

I'm not trying to pick an argument or anything, I'm just saying that in my opinion the amount of architectural change going on seems like something that should be done in a separate branch of the project instead of in the main trunk. I completely understand that mistakes happen, and this is your show not mine.

Just trying to make a helpful suggestion here.

slyz

Developer
Considering that the file missing from 10033 hasn't been checked in yet, that is completely expected.
I'm not sure there is a file missing: src\net\sourceforge\kolmafia\swingui\listener\ThreadedListener.java already exists.

It looks like importing "net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.listener.ThreadedListener" from lib\net\java\dev\spellcast\utilities\ActionPanel.java isn't working for some other reason.

I'm completely lost as to why (this is when it becomes obvious that I am not a programmer). I tried importing "src.net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.listener.ThreadedListener" instead, but that doesn't work either. Should something be updated in .classpath or some other build file?

Grotfang

Developer
Just had a quick look, but I think the problem is that we compile lib before src. The package doesn't exist as far as the compiler is concerned at the point of compiling the lib classes (hence the 13 errors there). When we then compile the src classes the 100 errors generated are a result of not having compiled lib.

build.xml lines 154-160:

Code:
		<antcall target="compile-folder">
			<param name="folder" value="${lib}" />
		</antcall>

<antcall target="compile-folder">
			<param name="folder" value="${src}" />
		</antcall>

I don't really understand the reasons why lib and src are separate, so I don't want to be the one to merge them. However, I believe that might resolve the issue. Would that mess anything up? The alternative would be to replicate the ThreadedListener file within lib.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Ask hola. Until he answers, my understanding was that they were separated because lib contains code that was borrowed by or imported into KoLmafia whereas src contains code written by the dev team for KoLmafia. Since src references lib and lib references src I don't think compile order is going to change anything. Given the separation criteria I think the core problem is that something in lib requires src to compile. Not knowing why things were done, I would refactor things so that lib could compile when src was not present. IMHO. YMMV

Problems compiling on macosx -- this is version 10039

I haven't compiled for a while, but I got these errors during compilation on MacOSX java 1.6.0_29, apologies if already posted somewhere else.
Seems to have started with 10033 (13 errors) and got worse from there.
View attachment compile_errors.txt

Last edited:

holatuwol

Developer
Erk, forgot that the packages were separated and was doing start compile instead of clean compile so I never saw the compile errors. Will work on a fix.

Since src references lib and lib references src I don't think compile order is going to change anything. Given the separation criteria I think the core problem is that something in lib requires src to compile. Not knowing why things were done, I would refactor things so that lib could compile when src was not present. IMHO. YMMV
Update: This is what happened. Should be fixed in 10040.

I don't really understand the reasons why lib and src are separate, so I don't want to be the one to merge them. However, I believe that might resolve the issue. Would that mess anything up? The alternative would be to replicate the ThreadedListener file within lib.
To answer this particular question, the reason they were separated is because people were having trouble compiling (there's a lot of files to compile and by default, Ant runs out of memory) and they didn't want to have to change their ANT_OPTS. So, I thought separating KoLmafia code from third party library code would help reduce the number of files since nothing native to a third-party library will depend on anything in KoLmafia.

What caused this fiasco was that I started customizing third-party library code to depend on KoLmafia code, forgetting that I'd separated the two in the build process and that the separation matters if you do 'ant clean' instead of 'ant start'. My bad, don't hurt me, I'm just trying to help! ;)

Update 2: To prevent people from downloading bad builds, 10042 prevents the jar-building process from running if compilation at any stage fails.

Last edited: