Monster drop quantities

Theraze

Just wondering if there's any current handling to allow for the same monster dropping multiple of the same item, guaranteed. Currently, I have 5-20 Crimbco scrip with n100 on my cubicle monsters, but that makes it rather horrible to look through the list, as well as when editing the file. I know the code calls some entries quantity or something similar... but I think that refers to the drop chance, not multiple drops.

Am I just missing this functionality, or is it not currently there? Should it be?

StDoodle

Minion
The only similar example I could think of off-hand was last year's Crimbuck, and monsters.txt shows that entered a single time for the appropriate monsters. I could see the value in being able to treat some items, such as Crimbuck and CRIMBCO scrip similar to meat, where it was [item]: [lower bound]-[upper bound].

Theraze

Well, each monster this year drops the same amount... Right now I have up to 20 CRIMBCO scrip (n100) for each of them. :) It makes sense to have different numbers when the drop rate varies... the 1 (90), 1 (80), 1 (70) drop rates on current mobs makes sense, as long as it isn't that you actually have 3 80% drops.

Last edited:

jasonharper

Developer
There are defined drop types to handle multiple drops, although no current code to display anything specific for them, and no definition for what the drop rate field would mean for such items. For the most part, multiple drops are coming from boss monsters that you wouldn't be fighting with a generic script anyway, and therefore there seemed little reason to make this information available to scripts.

Theraze

Scrip, not scripts. :)

If the code already exists, what drop type do I use to tell it that there's a 100% chance of 5 CRIMBCO scrip dropping at the end of the battle?

jasonharper

Developer
Well, none of the previously imagined multiple drop types really apply here - to date, they'd always been variable in some way, even if that variability was apparently random rather than tied to any player stat. I'd suggest Q5 for a fixed quantity of 5, but note that everything at the moment would treat that as a 5% normal drop rate, which would probably be more confusing than useful at this point.

Theraze

Anything where I can do a Q5-5? At the moment, it sounds best to just skip the change, but post-CRIMBCO fixing it to be 'right' even if it's just historical would be a benefit.

Fluxxdog

Anything where I can do a Q5-5? At the moment, it sounds best to just skip the change, but post-CRIMBCO fixing it to be 'right' even if it's just historical would be a benefit.
They say history has a way of repeating itself. Though it may seem like an old school thing, I wouldn't be surprised if the same kind of mechanic popped up again in the future. Then, we'd already have examples in place.

Theraze

Looks like the Q code isn't in MonsterDatabase currently. At least, searching for a capital Q finds no hits in the file. Lowercase q doesn't find anything as a single word segment.