Feature - Rejected Stop you from using salad forks and frosty mugs if you're unable to take the damage

jasonharper

Developer
This protection should already exist for food/drink helpers used within mafia. Are you reporting that this doesn't work, or are you requesting that it be extended to usage from the relay browser?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Mafia doesn't offer any protection for relay browser consuming, right? Eating without milk, drinking without ode, overdrinking, whatever else I'm forgetting.

Frankly I'd love it if it did those things too. I don't mind as much since they don't cause you to get beaten up, though. This is pretty minor though, so if it's any sort of hassle, meh.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I'd rather get beaten up than have any of those other things happen, since it takes 30 MP to be all better and that's nothing in aftercore (or a few cheap items if you don't have the skills), compared to losing out on turns.

Makes sense. The only problem I foresee with those is macros, since theoretically mafia might have a hard time stopping a macro with ode in it, in the event ode would fail to cast since you're maxed on songs.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I can't imagine preferring eating/drinking/spleening from the Relay Browser to using the Item Manager. I don't WANT to have to remember which consumables (including concoctions that I can make with available ingredients) give me the best adventures. Not to mention all the extra clicking and page loads and such. It can't possibly be more efficient.

You are certainly allowed to feel otherwise, but a goal for the Relay Browser is to interfere with your playing experience as little as possible. I don't want it to interfere with minor things like ode/milk/consumption helpers. We do warn you when a fortune cookie counter goes off, you are about to use a clover, or if you are about to blow a Wossname, but those are irrecoverable choices and you deserve to get the chance to confirm that you know what you are doing. If you fail to use Ode or get beat up with consumption helpers, you get fewer turns of adventure gain or have to heal Beaten Up. No big deal.

StDoodle

Minion
You are certainly allowed to feel otherwise, but a goal for the Relay Browser is to interfere with your playing experience as little as possible.

THIS. IMO, the relay browser should only provide warnings for the super-big stuff, as Veracity mentioned. For the most part, it should be as close to the regular interface as possible, save things you've specifically configured to get added in. If you really want added functionality from KoLmafia in the RB, make (or pay for someone else to make) a script for it.

The relay browser is actually a huge draw for me. That and the NS lair automation. And the tracking abilities of mafia. I do pretty much all of my consumption via the relay browser as well, that might be a of a special case, perhaps, because the consumable spading has scarred me, i mean given me a lot of knowledge about which consumables I should be using, so I already know it. I don't particularly mind that there aren't warnings about eating/drinking without milk/ode. The milk thing would be rather annoying* during day 1 or 2 of an ascension, for example. And for people without Ode permed, that'd just be nutty. I suppose it could be made to check if you have Ode available or if you have the ingredients for (or have) milk, but I don't really think it's necessary to put those checks into the relay browser.

*sorry, veracity, it fit! <3

zarqon

Mafia already only warns about milk/Ode if it's available.

While we're on the subject, I'd like a way around the repeated relay warnings about MCD for the Boss Bat. After I set the MCD the first time, I don't want to have to confirm it each time I go to fight a bodyguard bat. Perhaps don't do the warning if the MCD is the same as was confirmed in the previous warning. The warning is fine for other bosses, as it only happens once.

Spiny

Mafia already only warns about milk/Ode if it's available.

While we're on the subject, I'd like a way around the repeated relay warnings about MCD for the Boss Bat. After I set the MCD the first time, I don't want to have to confirm it each time I go to fight a bodyguard bat. Perhaps don't do the warning if the MCD is the same as was confirmed in the previous warning. The warning is fine for other bosses, as it only happens once.

This was brought up here.

That said, in Bad Moon, I don't recall getting the warning for the Boss Bat even though the hellavator is there now, but don't quote me on that, my memory may just be bad.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The Hellevator takes turns, and you are not automatically guaranteed to get the setting you want in one - or any number - of visits. Therefore, it's not like the other MCD equivalents, which KoLmafia can simply go manipulate when you click on the "I want reward X" image. Therefore, omitting the warning in Bad Moon is intentional and will not be changed.

zarqon, that was NOT "on the subject" of the original feature request. And, as Spiny points out, it's discussed elsewhere. Something that _I_ find "annoying" (sorry :)) is when a bug report or feature request turns into a whole pile of unrelated feature requests (and yes - no matter how similar the KoLmafia user may find the requests, it's always additional code to add something different, and it's often completely unrelated internally). I may want to implement only a subset of them, but can I then mark the issue "Fixed" or "Implemented", if I did not do the original post, or if I did not do everything that was mentioned?

zarqon

I would assume you would mark the thread relevant to the issue brought up in the originating post -- you would be well within reason to ignore other issues, at least until a separate thread has been made for them. Regardless, apologies for making you take the time to write that response -- I'm trying to stay involved but with very little time in which to do it. I've been spending nearly all my time in rehearsals for a very big concert coming up. That was mostly an "oh by the way" sort of thing which WAS related but not the same as the original issue; had I really cared about the issue I would have made a proper feature request.