Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Req: Dark Theme (from InfoPowerBroker)

As Gausie already said, I can make icons. But I'll need to know what style/what icons need making.
    Originally Posted by Aenimus View Post
    Glad to have you here, this is basically a modernization project, and it definitely needs lots of people/skills. The powers-that-be can discuss if they want to really revamp the icons or if they just want to clean up what's there now.

looking at kolmafia/src/images, it contains all the gifs on toolbars (and a few other things). There's probably nothing in there that can't get a refresh, but I dont think we should resize them without looking into how they're used (and how they were used 15 years ago...).

They look like 32x32 icons with transparency, scaled down from KoL's icons.

For instance, the council.gif is based on KoL's council_icon.gif without the text. That's a 100x100 icon in the browser, with a 60x60 (ish) image when you trim the text and whitespace. 15 years have at least produced better downsampling tools, and it's easier to edit transparent gifs as well.

Swing doesn't resize them for you, so the technical spec for icons is "max 32x32, gifs with transparency, that look good across a wide spectrum of white-to-gray-to-black"

I'm willing to re-think what icons are used for what. The ghost doesn't immediately scream "chat" to me, since I've been (officially if not always functionally) literate since 2004, but if we change the icons, there will definitely be people who weren't expecting us to ever change the icons...

These are the ones I see that need at least a look, and could use a replacement.
    They are all square and no more than 32x32

Main Toolbar:
    council.gif, browser.gif, command.gif, chat.gif, clan.gif, hp.gif, inventory.gif, equipment.gif, mall.gif, coin.gif, buff.gif, uparrow.gif, candypile.gif, arena.gif, preferences.gif, trashield.gif

Contacts Toolbar:
    copy.gif, buff.gif, mail.gif

Chat Toolbar
    who2.gif, highlight1.gif, highlight2.gif

Mini-Browser:
    back.gif, forward.gif, home.gif, reload.gif

Sidebar:
    refresh.gif

There may be others that get swapped in, but these are the ones I see...

The top two toolbars are current, flat dark is the new one...
    three toolbars.png
    This is all the toolbar icons I see that have issues we can fix...
    Flatmap Dark Icons.png

Indeed that might be an interesting project - does KoLmafia still need all of the embedded jars?
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    This is probably a different project, but I did a quick scan with IJ to see what was going on with the lib directory jars. Most of them are used by SVN, which is hard to say if they're needed for what we do with SVN. The only real oddity was edu.stanford.ejalbert, which is a directory for the classpath of BrowserLauncher2, but which was replaced with BareBones launcher in 2012.

In terms of the images folder, there are some images that I can't find any reference to in src/ or in data/. I think the navigation stuff (clear, delete, error, save all, stop are probably from some library.

I don't know about encyclopedia, museum, and who1 (who2 is in use, maybe it used to be there?)

iamges:
    clear.gif
    delete.gif
    encyclopedia.gif
    icon_error_sml.gif
    icon_success_sml.gif
    museum.gif
    saveall.gif
    stop.gif
    who1.gif

Images also includes two additional files that seem to be in the wrong place:
    jquery-1.9.1.js ???
    barrel_smash.mp3 ??? -- This seems misplaced

I'd don't know where they should be, and maybe "images" is the best place, but they're not images...

src/relay/barrel_sounds.js has

var BARREL_SMASH_SOUND = "/images/barrel_smash.mp3";

That is built-in to KoLmafia.

relay/spacegate_sounds.js has

play_element("/images/spacegate_activate.mp3")

That is from the "Spacegate Sounds" scripts I published.

Both of the above activate only if the relayAddSounds property is true.

They are in images so that KoLmafia's built-in image cache will handle them.

jquery.1.9.1.js is used in the StaionaryButtonDecorator, but I don't know why it is not in /relay.
    Last edited by Veracity; 10-14-2020 at 09:19 PM.

Note that images/scripts contains all the .js and .css that KoL itself has served to us from its image server.
    /images does not mean the items are actually images. It just means that our image cache knows about them.

Note that images/scripts contains all the .js and .css that KoL itself has served to us from its image server.
    /images does not mean the items are actually images. It just means that our image cache knows about them.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    Got it. I can be very literal sometimes.

I'm willing to re-think what icons are used for what. The ghost doesn't immediately scream "chat" to me, since I've been (officially if not always functionally) literate since 2004, but if we change the icons, there will definitely be people who weren't expecting us to ever change the icons...
    Originally Posted by MCroft View Post
    There are a LOT more existing KoL images available now than there were when these icons were selected. I frequently go through the images folders to find appropriate images to use in my relay scripts without needing to import new images, so I'd be happy to recommend some images to use as icons. (Though when I discovered I could hide the entire icon row, I happily did so. I'd still enjoy tracking down better icons from the KoL milieu if such there be.)

If we're revamping, it might be worth considering smaller icons as well. 32x32 seems quite large by modern standards.
    Sig by JakAtk
    My scripts: Prefref Plus | Skillref Plus | One-Click Woss | Om****est (??) | Psychose-a-Matic | RandBot
    Combat suite: Best Between Battle | Mercenary Mood | SmartStasis | BatMan | BatMan RE
    For script authors: ASH Wiki | ZLib | BatBrain | CLI Links | Drag-n-Drop Inventories | CanAdv | Script Registry | Map Manager
    If you appreciate my work, help me become BAT KING OF THE WORLD! Thanks to all donators!

There are a LOT more existing KoL images available now than there were when these icons were selected. I frequently go through the images folders to find appropriate images to use in my relay scripts without needing to import new images, so I'd be happy to recommend some images to use as icons. (Though when I discovered I could hide the entire icon row, I happily did so. I'd still enjoy tracking down better icons from the KoL milieu if such there be.)

If we're revamping, it might be worth considering smaller icons as well. 32x32 seems quite large by modern standards.
    Originally Posted by zarqon View Post
    My main goal is to not cringe when looking at pages in dark mode becaus images that are perfectly adequate with the built-in Looks are not masked well for dark backgrounds.

Better/newer/prettier/shinier/smaller/etc. buttons would be gravy. I'd love to know what you think we should do for the buttons. The list is a few posts back from here...

Smaller icons probably mean less detail to get the point across, things like "back" are easy to get across, game-specific ones seem more difficult. Still, probably doable.

Ambitious thing to add to the backlog: switchable icon sets in the Prefrences.

So, this is sitting in my backlog, waiting on a few things.
    1. testing reports from the prelim (working) patch
    2. new icons that look good on dark themes as well as light themes.
    3. This one error I found with "use system default Laf..." (edit: resolved)

Not to get all Scrum-Mastery, but Aenimus are you working on #2? Do you need/want help or to pass it back to someone else?

In the meantime, I looked further at FlatMap, and it now has 61 new themes instead of 3.

To be fair, some are useful (like high contrast themes for people who need vision assist), and some are garish ("just like Dark, but with Orange highlights!"), but while I am here to judge people for their Look and Feel choices, I am here to do it silently.
    Last edited by MCroft; 10-22-2020 at 05:58 PM.

As a purple guy, I am a fan