Bug stash refreshing 1000+ times

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
One way to rule out your local changes is to download one of the latest JARs and reproduce there.

Can you reproduce with other characters in the same clan?

AlbinoRhino

I will experiment when I get a chance. If I recall correctly, I did see this on one other character at least once.

I don't think anything would be affected but I should ask to be sure...if I use a jar from the builds page, none of my settings, svn installations, or anything else important will be affected or overwritten will they? IE, is there anything I should backup before trying that?

It almost has to be something local to me...yet I am still baffled. Changing the ASWS setting seems almost to enable/disable the behavior. But other than that, I'm still clueless.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
If you're using Windows, then as long as the jar lives in your mafia directory, you should be fine. If you're using Linux / OSX (and probably other OSes), you don't even have to do that much.

xKiv

IE, is there anything I should backup before trying that?

You should be making backups of all your user data anyway, just in case. Even if it saves your butt only a once or twice in your life, it will be worth it.
(source: I have already been heavily convenienced by daily backups multiple times, and a year-old full backup once)

AlbinoRhino

Good advice...which I've followed once daily for years now (or my small scheduled .bat script has). But I wasn't certain if what I considered worthy of backup was the same as what mafia (may/may not) overwrite when unpacking a build that was other than my normal one.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Good advice...which I've followed once daily for years now (or my small scheduled .bat script has). But I wasn't certain if what I considered worthy of backup was the same as what mafia (may/may not) overwrite when unpacking a build that was other than my normal one.

If there is already a mafia installation mafia will not change/overwrite any of your settings with a new jar file unless the changes to the code base explicitly and deliberately modify user settings. That is somewhere between unusual and unlikely. I routinely build the latest jar and run and cannot recall losing anything.

xKiv

But I wasn't certain if what I considered worthy of backup

That's everything I can't replace with a clean reinstall of the system. All of my configurations, projects, pictures, videos, browser profiles, ... (I am using linux, so basically all of /home, most of /etc, and some parts of /var (where mail and databases live)). If I had to pick specific files that are NOT worth backing up, I would probably go crazy.

And, aside from that - I also do another layer of backup on certain sensitive files (like ~/.kolmafia/settings) by commiting their state to local git daily ....