New Content - Implemented Intergnat

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Most of this content will be straightforward to support. Add a new familiar, add a coinmaster, usual stuff.

The interesting thing to support will be the monster modifiers from using the familiar. They change the monster's name, in the same way that OCRS modifiers do, though they aren't so crazy. The modifiers are only available as part of the monster's name, and they have to be stripped out to recognize the monster. Should that modifier be added to random_modifiers along with OCRS modifiers, or be handled differently?

Bale

Minion
With r16910 - r16914, lost has done everything he described above.

lost, that's an worthwhile discussion about adding it to random_modifiers.
  • For: That's a nice convenient place to note them for the user and these modifiers ARE random.
  • Against: The effects are actually relevant and serve a different purpose. If someone is ever on a OCRS ascension with this familiar (which sounds like fun) they might find it helpful that the lists are separate.

I vote against mixing the mods. My fight override script actually separates out various categories of helpful and unhelpful modifiers from the list and presents the sorted list at the top of the fight to make my combat decisions simpler. I might not be the only one who does such a thing. Having intergnat mods mixed in could confuse things.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I waited for, oh, 16 hours before using my turns today, so that I could derive the familiar parameters, should it prove to be a familiar.
Alas, it did not arrive "on time".
Tomorrow.

Bale

Minion
r16918: Veractiy added familiar parameters and gear.

What is left besides adding gnat_modifiers as a proxy record? Or would the be added into random_modifiers?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
What is left besides adding gnat_modifiers as a proxy record? Or would the be added into random_modifiers?

I don't really feel like it's worth another proxy field just for tracking that. Besides that, I don't think I'll ever care about it being accessible, so I was waiting on feedback about how best to add it.

Bale

Minion
Adding it to random_modifiers is better than nothing because I'd really like my combat script to be able to check for them. (Especially bacon.)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
16920 adds it to random_modifiers. It will be one of "bacon", "eldritch", "neil", "science", or "tesla". Those are easy to change, but probably shouldn't be changed unless it's done right away.

Other things not implemented yet include using the bacon machine (which could probably be handled now, but would be nice to test) and using the First Post shirt package.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Seems there is a Demon name (and a player name) with an "eldritch" monster. It would be cool if Mafia could record that.

Still spading to be done, and it changes with ascension, but CDM seems to indicate it is legit.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Familiar messages are already logged, as long as you have that setting enabled. What more do you want recorded, before the full meaning of that stuff is understood?

(Also, I posted a few days ago in that thread saying that it really is something.)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
CDMoyer said:
(Just an FYI, you need to have the intergnat out when summoning for it to work... I mean, if those random outbursts from the itergnat mean something, that is. Maybe it's just gibberish.)
This is a new mechanism that will affect our "summon" command.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Familiar messages are already logged, as long as you have that setting enabled. What more do you want recorded, before the full meaning of that stuff is understood?

Before the full meaning is understood... maybe nothing. At some point, if there is a new 'demonName', it would be nice to have this set in a preference.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I keep seeing messages regarding "Neil", <one of my contacts>, and <something that looks like a demon name>.
Using the seeming demon name in the Summoning Chamber gives a "no such demon" message.

People will figure it out, eventually, and I am sure we will detect the name via the summoning chamber, via the quest log, and, I assume, via "whatever mechanism is used to decode the familiar messages".

Until then, I don't see that there is anything we can do to help spading.

Crowther

For some reason you need to use all three names at once: Neil [DemonName] [ContactName]

Seems like a silly solution to me and might encourage people to only have one contact.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
For some reason you need to use all three names at once: Neil [DemonName] [ContactName]

Seems like a silly solution to me and might encourage people to only have one contact.

Because people expect to get scroll parts before the intergnat spits out the contact name?

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member

Possible! I can confirm this is correct.

I am sure we will detect the name via the summoning chamber, via the quest log, and, I assume, via "whatever mechanism is used to decode the familiar messages".
There is no message in the quest log. Pity, but oh well.

I think we'd want to store the K'[a-z]{7} name and the contact name in a preference. I sometimes wish Mafia had a way to denote preferences that reset on ascension, as opposed to maintaining a hardcoded list.

Bale

Minion
I sometimes wish Mafia had a way to denote preferences that reset on ascension, as opposed to maintaining a hardcoded list.

If you really wish this... You could create a double underlined preference? (Or another unique prefix of your choice.) And then automatically reset them all on ascension.

We could also transition over to a new system by creating a hardcoded list of old ascension preferences that are switching over to the new system so that if one of those is referenced by a command, it can be redirected to the new preference name along with an error message. For double-points you could do this with the old daily preferences that don't use an underline preference.

yeah, you can tell I've wished for such a thing.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
16931 adds code to recognize the two parts of the demon name. It doesn't do anything with those yet, but other code can build on that.