Chat commands disabled in the relay browser in integrated chat/gCLI...

tripwood

Heyo.

I *love* the integrated chat/gCli thing in the browser relay, it's amazing and loads super fast. But why are macros/chat commands disabled in the chat pane? It's doubly annoying because you have to click back to the cli for one single command AND can't invoke macros in any way (that I know of). Is it a technical issue? The possibility to disable/enable chat commands would be most welcome!

Thanks.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I don't use the CLI in the browser, but I can use chat macros just fine. Also, from that setup I could use /cli [cli command here] if I wanted to, but I always end up using mafia's interface instead. I don't know if I understood your issue right, or if I'm just not seeing it.

tripwood

What I meant is that there's an option in the browser relay preferences to make it so chat and the cli are kinda like tabs. I really like that, but when it is on, it disables chat commands in the chat window. Right now I've resolved to turn the option off, but I like the idea of it.

I didn't know about /cli, guess I'll use that now! Thanks.

jasonharper

Developer
I've taken a look at this, and it turns out that the problem is that integrated chat/CLI isn't using the chat pane supplied by KoL at all, it's using a modified copy contained within KoLmafia. And that copy hasn't been updated since September, 2007 - it knows nothing at all about how to handle its end of the new chat commands.

It would certainly be possible to update that copy of the chat code, but I'm not sure this is the best way forward, since it's pretty much guaranteed to break again every time something is changed in the chat system. (Also, it's been broken for months, yet you appear to be the first person to notice it, so this doesn't seem to be a feature that can justify a huge amount of work spent on it.) How does this idea sound: instead of its current behavior, the integrated chat/CLI option would simply insert all CLI output into the normal chat pane (mafia could do this without needing a modified copy of the chat pane). The /cli chat command would be available for issuing CLI commands in this mode. This strikes me as being an even more useful feature, since you wouldn't have to keep switching between the chat and CLI tabs.

Bale

Minion
The drawback to your solution is that it would mix up chat with CLI output. Every turn it would be mixing my attacks, healing, gaining experience into people's chat. Obviously that is chaos.

CLI input is fine, but we'd need a separate place to put the CLI output.

Alhifar

I personally make use of the integrated chat/cli. The main reason that I haven't noticed the missing chat commands is because I don't usually use them; instead I use the equivalent CLI command from the "tab" dedicated to CLI. By doing that, I keep my chat and other actions separated. However, that is only how I use it, I can't speak for others.
I would personally greatly dislike the mixing of chat and cli, enough that I would definitely disable the integrated chat/cli, which I've found up until now to be a wonderful feature.

Bale

Minion
However, that is only how I use it, I can't speak for others.
I am the same. I might try chat commands if this is fixed, but right now I'm not terribly unhappy with my inability to use the chat commands. Mostly they are for people who don't use mafia's integrated cli with the relay browser. That's why I didn't bother about the bug.