LoadLibrary failed with error 1114

Everyl

Sorry if this is on the wrong subforum.

On my new/used computer, every time I try to start Kolmafia, I just get the following error box:

LoadLibrary failed with error 1114: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.

This happens whether I run a .jar or .exe version. The computer in question was reset to factory-floor Windows 7, then upgraded to Windows 10 right before I purchased it. It has the latest version of Java as of yesterday evening, and I'm running AVG as virus protection. No error log is generated by Kolmafia.

I suspect that the problem is with my computer, since Mafia still works fine on my old computer. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be, or how I could fix it? I assume there's a DLL missing or out of date, but I have no idea which one, how to narrow down which it could be, or how to update/replace it if necessary.

xKiv

Can you try running it "as administrator"?
Is the mafia jar the same file as the file on the computer where it works?

It's an used computer? So there was already another user who probably owns most files and folders? And you are logging in as a different user?

Where do you have mafia installed? Where are you running it from?

ChE clarinetist

I'm having this error as well, hope you don't mind me adding my information here as well to try to help figure it out.

I had no problems with this error before, while running Windows 7 Ultimate. After upgrading to Windows 10 shortly after it was available, I continued using Mafia fine with no errors. It was when I upgraded my Java from 8u58 to 8u60 (64-bit computer, but I keep both 32 and 64 Java installed for browser support) that I began to experience this error. Tried to poke around to determine what DLL file was causing the problem, but couldn't find one. Googling the error gave some System File Checker steps to try to resolve it, but that also did not solve the issue.

I'm also running it from an administrator account on my computer (several years old, but I was still the original owner of the laptop).
I have Mafia installed nested inside my Documents folder, but that never gave an issue before. I'll try shifting the Mafia set-up out of Documents a bit later tonight and update this with any results.

Theraze

Might just be that 8u60 doesn't support some mafia library. Be interesting to see if Everyl is also using 8u60.

ChE clarinetist

Might just be 8u60 not cooperating. I would assume Everyl saying "most recent" version would imply 8u60 as well.

Tried moving Mafia to its own folder on my hard drive (C:/KoLMafia) and it still errors. I'm suspecting 8u60 is the culprit. Have a clan member going to try Mafia at their work tomorrow on a Windows 7 x64 machine after updating java to 8u60. That'll at least help us figure out if its 8u60 that could be the culprit.

Theraze

Yeah... it's not Win10 because I've run mafia successfully on every insider release both pre and post RTM. However, I'm sitting on Java 8u40 currently and not seeing major reasons to shift that.

Let us know if 8u60 can be confirmed as a "wait for Java to fix their bugs or please use a different version" edition of Java. :) Thanks.

ChE clarinetist

So I decided to go ahead and uninstall 8u60, and downloaded 8u51 from Oracle's archives (sidenote: if recommending this to others, they will need to create an Oracle account to download it from the archives). Mafia works again for me. I'll still update tomorrow when my clanmate tests Mafia at their work, but at this point I would say 8u60 can be confirmed as the problem. Wish I could help pinpoint the exact problem, but without knowing specifically which DLL is causing a problem I wouldn't know where to start looking in Mafia's code.

Malibu Stacey

I'm running mafia v17.1 r16277 (latest at time of writing) on Java x64 8.0.600.27 (also latest) on Windows 7 x64 without issue.
From reading the comments it appears the combination of Windows 10 with Java 8.0.600.27 is causing Mafia to fail.

If you're running Windows 10, use an older build of the Java Runtime e.g. 8.0.510 until Oracle get it sorted.

Everyl

I do indeed have 8u60. The computer didn't have Java when I received it, and that's the version on the main download site now.

As for xKiv's questions, the previous user wiped the system - there are no other users. I've been running as admin until I get things set up, so for the time being, everything's owned by my current login. I'm using the same .jar file on both computers - it's in my Dropbox, so it's auto-synched. I also copied the .jar to a non-Dropbox folder to run clean in case that was causing problems, and I get the same error.

Regardless, it looks like installing an archived version of Java should fix it, so I'll look into that now and report back whether it works.

Everyl

I uninstalled 8u60 and installed 8u51, and Kolmafia now starts successfully. Must be an incompatibility between 8u60 and Windows 10?

xKiv

Browser should be irrelevant for this. But bitness of java can cause weird errors. Here we had to install everything 32-bit because otherwise something would always fail.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Browser should be irrelevant for this. But bitness of java can cause weird errors. Here we had to install everything 32-bit because otherwise something would always fail.

Browser should be irrelevant but you could construct a situation where KoLmafia used the browser under circumstance that might expect a x32 browser to try and load x64 libraries or visa versa.

I have never looked at this but KoLmafia does load TrayIcon12.dll on Windows systems so that KoLmafia can be visibly minimized to the task bar. Perhaps there is an interaction with the bitness of the JRE and whether u50 or u61 is installed. But as long as reverting to u50 works this is an intellectual exercise and not a task that would generate code changes AFAICT.