OCD Inventory control

xKiv

I see no way where editing the file by "search and replace" in Notepad should make the first line in the file go away...

Saved as utf with BOM at the beginning, which makes the first item unrecognized (because not everything recognizes BOM as the meta "this is how bytes are ordered in this file" thing).

Winterbay

As far as I'm aware my notepad is set to use ANSI as default and I've never had any reason to change it because why would I? :)

Bale

Minion
It's worth trying though.
  1. Open in notepad. Delete the first line which is for your Drink Me potions.
  2. Take note of the new first line, then save the file. This line might get eliminated by the following experiment so you probably want to copy it into another document.
  3. Open in the relay browser and re-add the Drink Me potions.
  4. Then open in notepad just to see if the previous first line is still there, after the newly added Drink Me potions.

Winterbay

It appears to have happened again...
I started up the relay-script in order to add some new drops I got from the dreadsylvanian dungeon and noticed that the Drink Me potions were classified as "uncategorized" yet if I open up the database-file they show up just fine at the top of the file.
Clicking "save as" indicates that the file seems to have been saved as UTF. I wonder why.

Ok. Problem sort of solved.
If I run the relay script and use that to categorize items it saves the txt-file in ANSI-format (without a BOM).
If I then open up the script in Notepad and saves it (do not need to do any changes) it saves it as UTF-8 and thus adds a BOM and the potion is gone from the list again.

Didn't notice that when I was editing the script at home because the default there is ANSI and also I tend to use Notepad++ which I cannot install on my work machine (stupid Windows 7 and its added options for admins to limit things) where I am right now.

Edit: Actually that's not true. Only sometimes does it decide to set UTF-8 as the default to save as. That's even more annoying...

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
I'm relieved and sad to hear that the problem is your computer wrangling skills. At least I can stop worrying about it! ;)

Good luck!

xKiv

Edit: Actually that's not true. Only sometimes does it decide to set UTF-8 as the default to save as. That's even more annoying...

Do you edit any interpunction? Quotes (" - that's actually an "inch" character), ellipsis (... - three full stops), apostrophes ('), etc. Windows like to convert those to "typographically proper" variants (open/close quotes, actual ellipses character, ...), which don't exist in ANSI.

Winterbay

Yes, which was what first indicated to me that it may be saving as UTF-8 instead of ANSI. I then went and found a program that could read the BOM for me and confirm that suspicion.

Didn't notice that when I was editing the script at home because the default there is ANSI and also I tend to use Notepad++ which I cannot install on my work machine (stupid Windows 7 and its added options for admins to limit things) where I am right now.

http://download.tuxfamily.org/notepadplus/6.5/npp.6.5.bin.zip

I believe the zip can be extracted and ran from anywhere, without the installer...I haven't tested it though because my work actually lets us use notepad++! :D

Winterbay

I had no trouble on XP, and actually less problems than I though I would with many things, but to install a non-signed program requires an admin password. ALso, most download sites for freeware programs are blocked by the company web filter so I couldn't get to the portable version. Thanks for the link. I'll put it on a USB stick and bring it with me :)

Bale

Minion
I'm thinking about simply removing the entire portion of this script which maintains a stock list. Since you can now purchase items in ronin and then pull the freshly purchased item from Hangks, it seems seems that stocking Hangks is just a remnant of an earlier era. If anyone disagrees with me and wants to continue using that portion of this script, please post about it sometime in the next week.

One week delay of execution begins now.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
There are a few cases where planning ahead matters. Pulling an NPZR head requires pasting it ahead of time since it's expensive to buy another in the mall (and the expensive part gets reused). Moon pies and wrecked generators have to be crafted ahead of time. I don't know how much people relied on those things from this script.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I don't actually use this script (after the bone star event, why would I get rid of my photoprotoneutron torpedos, or anything that might end up being just as useful), so I don't know how that part of the script works. For isotope items, by the time I would run this script (or by the time I run my own script), it's typically too late to actually spend the isotopes anyway, so it's more of "your speed run is doomed before entering the gash" than anything else.

Don't keep anything in for me, I was just throwing out the idea for people that use this script and know what it does to consider.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
I used to use the stock part when I was doing SC runs and needed to restock on food and stuff for the runs. But I've since gone completely HC on all my multis.

I haven't used the stock part either in a long time. I use just about everything else though. :)

My inventory was seriously a mess before this script. It'd take forever to make decisions on what to sell, what to use, what to make, what to keep, etc. I'm so happy I can make those decisions once and be done with it. :)

Bale

Minion
I do use it to stock up on sewer items, some unbearable light, volcanic ashes,etc

You use it for aftercore stocking? Interesting!

You're also the first person to say that you actually use that feature. I'm glad to hear that someone uses it.

Rinn

Developer
I've been using it for ascension stocking for long time, but yeah that might not matter as much since we can buy items from storage now. It's still nice to have the list so I don't have to do it manually.