Feature - Implemented More information in Maximizer

Darzil

Developer
I have just added non meat costs (mp, soulsauce, adv) to suggested effects in maximizer, as it seemed odd to just have meat costs (especially as I sometimes accidentally spent adventures).

I'm considering adding extra information, maybe in a set of square brackets after the existing brackets, including number of turns of effect, and number of items/casts/etc left if limited.

However, what do people think, should I just add this, or is it information overload, and I should perhaps have a setting maximizerDetails, with minimum (only modifier), standard (current) and verbose (current plus turns of effect and number of items/casts/etc left), which defaults to standard ?

Bale

Minion
I really, REALLY like having (1 adv) next to simmer so that I don't forget not to cast it. That is important.

It would be very helpful to have number of turns for an effect also, but beyond that I don't think it especially useful for me so I know when I use something limited. I've got that stuff on my daily deed panel to track it.

I suppose you could never go wrong with letting people choose their own level of verbosity, especially if you add the radio button for it right there. That's pretty user friendly design.

Darzil

Developer
I think I'd find it useful, so for example I'll happily use Polka Pops before war if I have 3+ left, but not with less than 3. It would help me to not have to check item manager to see how many I have left.

Bale

Minion
I think I'd find it useful, so for example I'll happily use Polka Pops before war if I have 3+ left, but not with less than 3. It would help me to not have to check item manager to see how many I have left.

Very good point. Make it happen!

Crowther

I really, REALLY like having (1 adv) next to simmer so that I don't forget not to cast it. That is important.

It would be very helpful to have number of turns for an effect also, but beyond that I don't think it especially useful for me so I know when I use something limited. I've got that stuff on my daily deed panel to track it.

I suppose you could never go wrong with letting people choose their own level of verbosity, especially if you add the radio button for it right there. That's pretty user friendly design.
I too have wanted turns visible on the maximizer. You can get the price of each thing, but sometimes I really want price per turn. Actually, that's probably more what I want now that I think of it.

Fluxxdog

Heh, This keeps up, we'll need a Sort by Cost function, especially because the cost of a turn can be defined in Mafia.

Darzil

Developer
The three sorts I've thought of, should I do such a thing, would be :
By decreasing modifier value (as it is now)
By increasing cost/modifier value
By increasing cost/modifier/turn value

Cost/turn is not a such a great sort, as modifier usually varies.

Crowther

Right.

I think it is: value / (cost / turns)
Or: value * turns / cost

That's what you want for buff that you'll be running for a large number of turns.

xKiv

I have a script for that!
It inputs number of turns that I want to run the buffs, calls maximizer to get all the ways to get the buffs, then calculates how many times to use each item/skill, and sorts by (decreasing, because I want the most effective options to be at the least risk of scrolling off the top of the window) value/cost (because turns are fixed, and any cost paid for running buffs above wanted turns is an *extra* cost - example: if I want 10 turns of something, then paying 12k for 10 turns of +20 modifier is better than paying 13k for 20 turns of +20 modifier, even though the latter would be more economical if I wanted 20 turns). It doesn't yet handle extending effects that I already have, though.
I guess that's a thing (things?) I would like the native maximizer to be able to do, if possible.

Darzil

Developer
r14228 adds verbose option to maximizer, which shows adventure durations, uses remaining and number left in inventory as appropriate.

Feedback welcomed

Bale

Minion
I like it! Very nice!

Noticed a small problem:
Code:
make & use 1 ash soda (+15) [15 advs duration]

Doesn't show how many hot ashes I have.

The best though is this, because I cannot remember the names of the different foods, so I am glad for the reassurance of knowing if I am going to get 50 turns or 100 turns.
Code:
make & eat 1 Every Day is Like This Sundae (+10) [100 advs duration, 5 uses remaining]

Edit: Huh. I only have 1 Smithereen in my inventory. It is limiting by fullness, not inventory. It should probably limit by both since I am in hardcore.

Last edited:

Darzil

Developer
Bale, I think what you are saying for the first one is that you want it to show creatable as well as / instead of how many in inventory?

On the second one I agree, it should show the lower of the number you have and the limit of fullness.

Will look at both.

Darzil

Developer
Try r14278. Might take the second check out, I think 5 uses remaining, 1 creatable would have been clear enough?

Bale

Minion
I noticed that when the maximizer suggests a Speakeasy drink, like Hot Socks, it does not include either the 5000 meat price, nor the 3 per day limit.

Similarly when it suggests video games hot dog, it does not include the 1/day limit.

Should I make a separate feature request for this?