Guide

Sorator

So, I play on two different computers, and I've noticed that the guide script doesn't handle that well - often it doesn't update to reflect changes that happened on the other computer. Sometimes it'll fix itself when it notices I'm adventuring in an area it think I haven't unlocked yet, for example, but sometimes it gets stuck. For example, I started the level 11 quest on another computer and got the diary, and then went back to my home computer, and now I can see the desert exploration bit but not the palindome/spookyraven/hidden city stuff, even after adventuring in the hidden city. Is there anything to be done about that?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
So, I play on two different computers, and I've noticed that the guide script doesn't handle that well - often it doesn't update to reflect changes that happened on the other computer. Sometimes it'll fix itself when it notices I'm adventuring in an area it think I haven't unlocked yet, for example, but sometimes it gets stuck. For example, I started the level 11 quest on another computer and got the diary, and then went back to my home computer, and now I can see the desert exploration bit but not the palindome/spookyraven/hidden city stuff, even after adventuring in the hidden city. Is there anything to be done about that?

This script uses mafia quest settings to know what you need to do. Sometimes mafia is able to update settings based on what shows up, other times there isn't a good way to do that.

The only real solution is to bring your mafia folder with you between computers, using a USB drive or something like Dropbox.

Bale

Minion
The only real solution is to bring your mafia folder with you between computers, using a USB drive or something like Dropbox.

I adore dropbox for simplifying my life.

Just saying.

PS. Ask me for a dropbox invitation (I'd need your email address) so that I can earn bonus storage space! :)

Last edited:
This script uses mafia quest settings to know what you need to do. Sometimes mafia is able to update settings based on what shows up, other times there isn't a good way to do that.

Why not both?
I've been using this to keep my schoolwork backed up but still offline-available for 5 years now; putting KolMafia in the folder as well was basically a no-brainer. There's the occasional hiccup when Dropbox tries to force an update, but Nick's usually pretty good about keeping the workaround valid.

Darzil

Developer
In AWOL, Guide recommends using corrupted marrow as a Cowpuncher, even when I have Cowrruption active. It's probably only worth doing when Cowrruption is not active.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Cowrruption is useful to extend up to 100 turns to make Cowcall better. The Restless Cow Skull also benefits from more Cowrruption somehow, which can be helpful for killing difficult Witchess pieces if nothing else.

Malibu Stacey

Needs updated for the Intergnat/BACON. It isn't recognizing the availability of Yellow Ray (Viral Video) or Copier (Print Screen Button) and it should probably recommend use of the Daily Dungeon Malware.

Magus_Prime

A debug log was dumped this morning and the error message seems to point to Guide. I attached the debug log in the bug reports thread.

Code:
You acquire an item: chest of the Bonerdagon
After Battle: You gain 59 Muscleboundness
After Battle: You gain 26 Magicalness
You can now equip a hippy protest button (and possibly other things).
After Battle: You gain 30 Cheek
Unexpected error, debug log printed.
Script execution aborted (java.lang.NullPointerException): (relay_Guide.ash, line 35354)

Bale

Minion
Interesting feature you added in the most recent update. Kinda freaked me out for a few seconds when I saw that. When I'm not in the Source I'll have to use my dataspider.

Edit: I liked it enough that I've removed the cancel on mouseover since it cancels quickly enough from many other things and mouseover was killing it even when I wasn't doing anything.

Last edited:

werewolfman2

Hi, until very recently your guide script has been working on my chrome browser, but when I tried clicking update script it suddenly stopped working and was replaced with a blank screen. Currently using it in my chrome browser and I removed the script and re-added it and nothing changed.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Hi, until very recently your guide strip has been working on my chrome browser, but when I tried clicking update script it suddenly stopped working and was replaced with a blank screen. Currently using it in my chrome browser and I removed the script and re-added it and nothing changed.

Is there a message in the CLI when you try running it? My first guess is that there's an error message, and my first guess about the cause would be that you need a newer version of mafia.

werewolfman2

thanks that fixed everythign I've been running version 16.3 for eons... there are scripts on here that I thought didn't work and now i can see, I literally have to get use to a new interface- thanks for the quick fix

werewolfman2

actually I have one last issue, after unzipping the file I couldn't for the life of me find a application file to use (mainly so I can make a shortcut) and have just been running it through the .jar file

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
actually I have one last issue, after unzipping the file I couldn't for the life of me find a application file to use (mainly so I can make a shortcut) and have just been running it through the .jar file

You are just supposed to run the .jar file. No idea why Windows changed to not allow .jar files to be pinned. Here is a random google result that might help with that. However, if you're updating the .jar regularly (probably at least for each new IotM or challenge path) then you'll need to change the target, or possibly just rename the .jar after you download it each time.

Theraze

To make a shortcut, create your javaw -jar <filename> batch file and then pin that.

Or just pin the auto-update download executable. That works too.

Southwest

Something that seems off or unclear:

Once the Ground Floor of the Castle is unlocked, the guide advises that you "Avoid skipping NCs... exactly once each, to make the knife appear faster."

Does this mean that you avoid the NCs once each? You skip them exactly once each? It's hard to parse, and I'm not sure what it's imploring me to do.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
You want to add as many unique NCs to the noncombat queue as you can, to increase your chances of getting the electric boning knife. Skipping a noncombat does not add it to the queue. Thus, take each NC the first time you see it, then skip it subsequent times.

Request:

can you add the "X% chance of getting the jump" hint to the Digitize thinger, when a Source Agent is digitized?
and/or make it always appear in the Source Agent thinger during Source runs even when green bits haven't started falling yet?