bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Will this script work for a 0 skill character?

What about one in a CA2 path?

The more skills you have the better it works. Ignoring combat, it is smart enough to do things that need to be done whether you have the skill or not so skills effect speed more than whether it just works. If you use WHAM for combat WHAM will do the best it can with what you've got but I find with low skill characters I need to buy skills in run to give WHAM something to work with.

Since in CA2 "you start with all of the guild skills whether or not they were permed" it works.

BleepBlorp

The more skills you have the better it works. Ignoring combat, it is smart enough to do things that need to be done whether you have the skill or not so skills effect speed more than whether it just works. If you use WHAM for combat WHAM will do the best it can with what you've got but I find with low skill characters I need to buy skills in run to give WHAM something to work with.

Since in CA2 "you start with all of the guild skills whether or not they were permed" it works.

Cool. Thanks. I have a few multis I want to set up that just need a few basic skills permed, and if I can avoid grinding through those ascension by hand so much the better. Don't really care about speed etc.

Theraze

Cool. Thanks. I have a few multis I want to set up that just need a few basic skills permed, and if I can avoid grinding through those ascension by hand so much the better. Don't really care about speed etc.

For that, I suggest grinding AoSP since it means that skills and familiars are irrelevant. The first few AoSP runs take about the same as a normal run, but even with my sub-optimal HC runs, I'm generally finishing AoSP in about 4 days normally without too much babysitting. Day one ends at level 7-8, day two generally goes to level 10, Day three is somewhere around 12, and day four ascends with enough turns left to farm 3 beer lens, both bounty items, and 3-10 clockwork keys.

The sum extent of my babysitting? At the start of normal days, cast incite riot and change the CCS from just consult WHAM to skill mug; skill jukebox; consult WHAM. When audience hits 30, hit escape, cast throw party, and switch the CCS back.

Oh, and of course throwing in the mandatory ashq run_combat() on the massive ziggurat since it aborts every time, but that's just part of the fun. :)

I understand the genesis and origins of the script. However there is an opportunity for improvement in the cases where it does not do a boss fight because of the player's class. (Specifically The Man in the Island War but I think there are others). At this point with WHAM and a reasonable set of cross class skills, my character can make short work of the boss. So how about an option that lets the player say "I trust my CCS and as long as BCCA uses it then I will accept the consequences in terms of failed fights and so on". bcasc_doMystAsCCS is true so perhaps this is just a case where it could be consulted if a new preference is not appropriate. Thanks.

Regarding that, I'd be tempted to just say that if you're using a consult script, treat Musc/Myst the same as Mox. Any objections? It made sense to abort back when bosses were poorly spaded, but with the advent of Manuel and the like, we can be much more certain about our stats and details.

Last edited:
I know someone mentioned it before but I haven't had luck finding it in the million pages of this thread.

Can someone share again how you call specific parts of the script, in case we want to do them "out of order"?

Winterbay

The benefit of soing ca2 runs is that you don't have to pay for the skills every time which might be important for some characters.

Theraze

I think he means after you complete things and go into aftercore, you still need to buy the skills from the guild trainer after you unlock them. Which is true. CA2 is ultimate for cheap/lazy ascensions. But avatar ascensions are ultimate for lazy/lazy ascensions, since you only need to figure out a single ascension strategy to unlock all 6 class skills.

ashq import <bumcheekascend.ash> whateverfunctionyouwanttocall();

Thanks! So far I'm doing them in this order, if anyone is curious, so I can get good food, then good booze fairly quickly in the run. By the time I'm done with Friars I have plenty of meat to get to the beach and get the island access.

Code:
ashq import <bumcheekascend.ash> bcascGuild();
ashq import <bumcheekascend.ash> bcascFriars();
ashq import <bumcheekascend.ash> bcascFriarsSteel();
create 1 bitchin
ashq import <bumcheekascend.ash> bcascDinghyHippy();
ashq import <bumcheekascend.ash> bcascPirateFledges();

Theraze

As a note, if you're calling multiple bcasc functions in a row, you can put them on the same line and skip the prior bits. So instead of 6 lines, you can do this:
Code:
ashq import <bumcheekascend.ash> bcascGuild(); bcascFriars(); bcascFriarsSteel();
create 1 bitchin
ashq import <bumcheekascend.ash> bcascDinghyHippy(); bcascPirateFledges();

Winterbay

ALso, if you look at the output of "alias" you will see that a few of those already exists as aliases that you can call instead of the long text.

Theraze

True. If you really wanted to go that way, you could do:
Code:
bcasc_guild
bcasc_friars
bcasc_steel
create 1 bitchin
bcasc_dinghy
bcasc_fledges
BUT with those, you couldn't just do:
Code:
alias startbig => ashq import <bumcheekascend.ash> bcascGuild(); bcascFriars(); bcascFriarsSteel(); create(1, $item[bitchin' meatcar]); bcascDinghyHippy(); bcascPirateFledges();
and then you just need to type startbig to run all 5 quests with your meatcar creation in there as well... It's the fun part about not being able to alias an alias unless you call it again with cli_execute("");. :)

Winterbay

YEs, if you run the same things all the time then making a new alias for all of them is probably better. I just find it easier to remember the shorter aliases for when I want BCA to do something out of order for one reason or another.
Also, thanks to whoever coded in the abort for the pasta thrall that removes bad effects and the hidden city. Probably saved me quite a few turns today :)

Theraze

Welcome. :) I threw that in after I accidentally ran 2 days in there and it still wasn't done and then I was like... wait, something's wrong... I did that again, didn't I. *mutter mutter* Code abort! :D

And hey, it IS technically possible to use the aliases in another alias, as I said. It's just... complicated.
Code:
alias startbigcli => ashq cli_execute("bcasc_guild"); cli_execute("bcasc_friars"); cli_execute("bcasc_steel"); cli_execute("create 1 bitchin"); cli_execute("bcasc_dinghy"); cli_execute("bcasc_fledges");
Given the choice between the two, I'd rather use the pure ASH. :D

unwanted

Is there any way to set it so that it'll equip knifes in as a disco bandit if I've got the tricky knife work skill? I'm thinking specifically so I can use a frankly mr shank in HC, which allows me to also use a hand in glove, which cuts down the day count considerably.

Crowther

Is there any way to set it so that it'll equip knifes in as a disco bandit if I've got the tricky knife work skill? I'm thinking specifically so I can use a frankly mr shank in HC, which allows me to also use a hand in glove, which cuts down the day count considerably.
No, but . . .

I'm surprised that knife isn't your best weapon and automatically selected most of the time. What's being used instead? The script really isn't intended for doing fast runs. That doesn't mean you can't do them, but it does take some effort. I really don't want to push ML and lose fights. If you have the skills for tough fights, you need to set bcasc_AllowML and bcasc_ignoreSafeMoxInHardcore, but there are still more tweaks. For example:
Code:
        if (loc == $location[The Primordial Soup] || !in_hardcore()) return 0;
        if (bcasc_ignoreSafeMoxInHardcore) return 0;
The first line is already in BCA. The second I added to because I too make hardcore as hard as softcore.

unwanted

No, but . . .

I'm surprised that knife isn't your best weapon and automatically selected most of the time. What's being used instead? The script really isn't intended for doing fast runs. That doesn't mean you can't do them, but it does take some effort. I really don't want to push ML and lose fights. If you have the skills for tough fights, you need to set bcasc_AllowML and bcasc_ignoreSafeMoxInHardcore, but there are still more tweaks. For example:
Code:
        if (loc == $location[The Primordial Soup] || !in_hardcore()) return 0;
        if (bcasc_ignoreSafeMoxInHardcore) return 0;
The first line is already in BCA. The second I added to because I too make hardcore as hard as softcore.

It's always selecting a ranged weapon, so I assume that the script is forcing the maximiser to go with ranged weapons only when a moxie class.
I don't know much about coding so could you let me know what that code does and where I'd put it?
I've already got it allowing ML and ignoring safe moxie, which works well as it always chooses to equip the hand in glove. Problem is without the moxie boost from the frankly mr shank you can't survive the fights. It works great for sauceror runs with smithness equips. Obviously you have to get a hobo glove yourself, and you also have to autosell/smash any main hands that boost spell dam.