Width of [code] & [php]

Rinn

Developer
Can you adjust some of the forum settings on the admin side and get the width of the code and php to use more of the available space (variable space instead of fixed)? I find I have to constantly scroll that window horizontally despite it not even taking up half of the space of the post.

Rinn

Developer
Sure, here's a screenshot of my browser maximized at 1600x1200 screen resolution.

Attachments

• code.png
    code.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 81

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Can't make it code wrap without an extreme rewrite with the code bbcode.

Camber

I noticed that if i post a quick reply, the pasted code seems to wrap
Code:
	print ("The Price of " + $item[tiny plastic disco bandit] + " is: " + currentprice) ;

*Edit: or not!

zarqon

I don't think
Code:
 ever wrapped.  I'm OK with it though, and half the time I'm on a 10" netbook!  So you other brothers can't complain. :)

matt.chugg

I don't think
Code:
 ever wrapped.  I'm OK with it though, and half the time I'm on a 10" netbook!  So you other brothers can't complain. :)[/QUOTE]

i'm not complaining! 

it never used to wrap, it was a container (possibly div) with fixed width and max height, with style="overflow:scroll;" I think. possibly. I could be barking up entirly the wrong tree, anyway, again, i'm not complaining!

Bale

Minion
Personally, I'd prefer that it doesn't wrap. Non-wrapping code is great. Wrapping code ruins effect of indentation.

zarqon

Let's not give the word 'wrap' a bad rap now, you rapscallions. Anyway, I think it's about time we wrap up this thread. Then, I think I'm going to go listen to some rap, which is performed by rappers.

And that's a wrap!

Camber

Fewyn,

Would it be possible to have the code/quote block have a horizonal scroll bar (the code won't be wrapping) so that i don't have to have a horizontal scroll for the forum?

I don't mind using a horizontal scroll to read the code, but i hate using the horizontal scroll to read the text posts. I have attached a pic.

Perhaps if the code/quote blocks were a percentage of the window/table size, i think that would help. My html coding is weak...

Thanks!

EDIT - I noticed that the forums.kingdomofloathing.com implement this feature on their site as shown in attached horiz-scroll-2.png

Attachments

• horiz-scroll.png
    horiz-scroll.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 53
  • horiz-scroll-2.png
    horiz-scroll-2.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
You could try writing a greasemonkey script for it, not sure how easy or hard that would be. It's possible that someone has already written something similar for another forum.