Feature - Rejected Valhalla skill selection

Dealing with the Relay Browser only.

This has been itching my brain for a little while: I am wondering why the default selection for a skill to perm in Valhalla is "(No Skill)" in mafia? If someone forgets to select a skill and hits the resurrect button, the native interface will stall them and tell them they need to select one of the provided radio buttons (i know it's a combo box in mafia's representation). Mafia, however, because it auto-selects No Skill, will happily let you ascend without having permed a skill.

This hasn't bitten me thus far, but I just saw someone get tripped up by it in chat, and I realized that it bugged me too.

Is there some reason that it's not set to no option (thus not letting you ascend without you selecting a skill, or intentionally selecting no-skill). The only way I could really see the auto-select of no-skill being a good thing would be if the set of permable skills that KoL's native interface shows is empty except for the No Skill option.

Bale

Minion
As usual, RT is making sense. Please change that before he makes a graph. For the love of god, don't let him make a graph!

Jatopian

FR - don't make it easy to ascend without keeping a skill

Mafia helps people keep track of what they might otherwise forget. This holds true for everything from semi-rares to the Shore. But in one very important way, Mafia actually enables people to space out and screw themselves over - Mafia, in fact, makes it very easy, more so than in the vanilla game. No, I'm not talking about auto-adventure.

You see, when one ascends in Mafia, and enters After-after-life Al's, they are given several drop-downs. One of these is for skill to keep. And this drop-down has, as its first and default item, "(no skill)". Which is the absolute last thing anyone would want to pick now that Spirit of Rigatoni is good. Would it be so hard to do a check for this, check for the presence of permable skills (so's not to annoy those who have everything), and then have a little confirmation popup? Easier yet, couldn't the default option be an invalid choice of [blank] or "---", as with class?

On behalf of my friend Parrot, who is new to Mafia and just ascended with results you can probably guess, I request this.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I guess the fix would be pretty simple -- move "<option value=\"-1\" selected>(no skill)</option>" from the end of 285 to the beginning of 309 (after the "buffer.append" bit, of course. Also, I guess remove the " selected" bit.

Also, I'd like to see RT make a graph for this situation that clearly shows that having (no skill) selected by default is suboptimal.

StDoodle

Minion
Well, I can't help with a solution, but I can help with the graph!

Damnit! The last bar was sup'd to be low (at the bottom), but I must have deleted the wrong bar. Crap!

Edit 2: fixed?

Emotions.png

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'd like to see him make a graph, with suitable experimental data. Say, ascending 100 times with one character who keeps a skill every time, and ascending 100 times with another character who does not. I'd like to see a plot of ascension number vs. day/turn count.

Jatopian

Heh, I just posted about this. Basically what I said was why not have a [blank] or "---" option as the default in the dropdown instead, like with class?

Veracity: That'd be easy: Just multiply the average no-skill run by 100, versus a standard ascender.

I'd like to see him make a graph, with suitable experimental data. Say, ascending 100 times with one character who keeps a skill every time, and ascending 100 times with another character who does not. I'd like to see a plot of ascension number vs. day/turn count.

Veracity: That'd be easy: Just multiply the average no-skill run by 100, versus a standard ascender.

I don't think there is any account that has ascended that many times which hasn't permed a skill.
Using the average no-skill run wouldn't work, the idea being that game knowledge will help you go faster as well. The closest you could get is seeing how well people's BM runs improve. Even that isn't that great, since each class should be treated differently (since there are no cross-skills, and certain classes are clearly easier to ascend with). Even with the 100 skill account, specific classes would be easier than others.

That said, if you had access to koldb's database, you could query it for all accounts that have done 100+ Softcore or Hardcore ascensions (but only use one or the other, don't let 20 soft + 80 hard = 100 ascensions, since they're different games). Once you have those accounts, you aggregate them all together, and see how they improved, but even then, it's not a very great comparison, since as previously mentioned, you have the Class problem. There are also issues with Holidays and whatnot.

Long story short: nographforyou!

Also, there's a blank option already in the combo-box for skill selection, it's just never used.