Bug - Not A Bug Spending lots of meat on Doc instead of mall buying scroll of drastic healing

One of my high-level characters (who doesn't have Cocoon permed) has been mining, and he has auto-hp restoration enabled (during manual adventuring, in particular). Many of the boxes are checked, including the Curative Nostrum and Scroll of Drastic Healing. Unfortunately, when he runs out of scrolls in inventory mafia goes directly to Doc, rather than buying a new scroll from the mall (or any of the other restorers). Since the character has some 3000 hp by default, this results in mafia spending over 27000 meat every time I get a cave-in, and in particular cost me over 1.5m today in total. I have "Buy items from mall whenever needed" enabled.

Furthermore, I have the hot tub restore option enabled and it did not use up my hot tub visits. It did at least use up my nuns visits and my free rests, but once those and the scrolls are gone it's always using the curative nostrum.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
My solution is to uncheck everything except the one restoring method I'm willing to let mafia use, which happens to be cocoon.

Winterbay

Another way of working around the bug is (especially if you are mining) to set your restore threshold a lot lower than you normally want it at since it makes no sense to have 100% health anyway...

jwylot

Isn't it optimal to use the doc for mining and the hidden temple anyway as you only want to restore 1 HP and beaten up doesn't matter?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You keep using the word "bug", but I'm not seeing it.

- On the HP/MP Usage panel, there are lists of HP restoratives and MP restoratives.
- They are listed in the order in which they will be used.
- Items in inventory will be used preferentially
- If we don't have enough of an item, we are willing to buy from NPCs at the fixed offered price
- the mall price of an item is completely irrelevant, since we will not buy from the mall

You want to use scrolls of drastic healing? Then make sure you have some in inventory.
You want to not use Doc Galaktik? Then uncheck his restores in the HP restore item list.
You want KoLmafia to make complicated restore decisions using items you don't have in inventory based on mall price? Then make a Feature Request - or, better yet, write a restore script that does exactly what you want.

I'm not seeing a bug here.

Winterbay

- They are listed in the order in which they will be used.

Oh? I had no idea of that. I just thought they were listed in the order they got added to the restore-panel and that Mafia would choose the cheapest/best option for the current need from the entire list.

slyz

Developer
They are listed by the average hp/mp they restore, and they are used in that order too, if they are available (as Veracity explains).

Last edited: