Feature Requesting additional buffbot contact method

if it's easier to click the buffbot menu and pick things off a list, then to remember the names of the bots and what key words to send them
then it's easier to click things off a list then it is to remember the commands and the names of the bots and use /msg

Use a buffbot that doesn't use keywords. :p

I guess since most buffbots do though I could see this being helpful (along the lines of faxbot, which I also use "keyword-free" via /msg, because, well, keywords suck) and not having commit access it's in no way up to me. Just putting in my two cents.

Dudicle

A few buffbots will now accept /msg format requests instead of only Via kmail.

Hello Nurse (#2148025) (display case has request syntax)

Little known fact, Nurse has a certain amount of lenience built in. For example: "ode" "booze" and "ode to booze" all cast the same buff and are tracked within the same logic. Currently, we've set a limit of 3 requests for most buffs. You can't ask for 3 requests of "ode" and 3 requests of "ode to booze" and 3 requests of "booze" for a total of 9 castings of "the ode to booze." If you actually request the full name of the buff, that falls into the same track, too.

We had to limit the directions in Nurse's DC due to a character cutoff. We kept exceeding the max and it would simply get truncated. The brevity, however, helps newbies... and that is the main goal.

~ Dudicle

EDIT: We worked this in for versatility. For those of you that are feeling adventurous, try a bit of variety.

Last edited:

Obeliks

Using kmail (when available) definitely is more robust than chat regarding text length and formatting, so I don't really see a reason to prefer /msg (except for a slight delay, maybe).

From my point of few, the nicest thing would be a decent REST API, which I would be happy to implement for Buffy (plus someone would have to do it for KoLMafia ;)).
But even if the API is designed to be generic, I agree that this would probably be very bot-specific.
Let me know what you think of that.

Using kmail (when available) definitely is more robust than chat regarding text length and formatting, so I don't really see a reason to prefer /msg (except for a slight delay, maybe).

From my point of few, the nicest thing would be a decent REST API, which I would be happy to implement for Buffy (plus someone would have to do it for KoLMafia ;)).
But even if the API is designed to be generic, I agree that this would probably be very bot-specific.
Let me know what you think of that.

What are you doing that you'd need more that the built in /msg length to request buffs? Or that formatting would be a huge issue? Recall that kmails fall victim to the same things chat does, so formatting there is still something that needs to be monitored. In fact the -only- benefit I see using kmails is the ability to pass a line feed.
And I'm not sure how'd you'd plan on using an API for buff request handling that would be beneficial to those that play without mafia and would be forced to pass data manually through the means that KoL natively provides.

Obeliks

What are you doing that you'd need more that the built in /msg length to request buffs? Or that formatting would be a huge issue? Recall that kmails fall victim to the same things chat does, so formatting there is still something that needs to be monitored. In fact the -only- benefit I see using kmails is the ability to pass a line feed.
And I'm not sure how'd you'd plan on using an API for buff request handling that would be beneficial to those that play without mafia and would be forced to pass data manually through the means that KoL natively provides.

Acutally, I never tried how long chat messages can be. I just inferred from the comments here on the thread, that this might be an issue. And for the formatting, that's not really an issue for buff requests, no.

Regarding the API, I was indeed solely talking about kolmafia integration, everyone else is very welcome to use kmail, chat, or the webinterface at http://kol.obeliks.de/buffbot/

Dudicle

There are several advantages to having a buffbot that is /msg only, imo. I prefer event-driven processing over a persistent process any day. It requires less hits to the sever, which helps conserve bandwidth for both host and client. It prevents buffbombing - it ONLY buffs the requester. It's free for the user. It's pretty schnazzy. If you like politics or someone is trolling, there is the utility of the /baleet function. :D (highly encourage discretion on the last feature)

Also, you do not have to quit your adventuring to compose a kmail. There's no toggling to the message screen when you're pressed for time. I find it alot simpler to just fire off a PM request, since I usually am in chat while playing anyways. I always found it a pain to stop what I was doing and fire off a kmail. Sometimes I'd forget what I was doing when I returned because I broke my train of thought, despite how on a roll I'd been.

As for the disambiguation that bordemstirs mentioned, that's worth review. I was looking for a way to hone some of the 3 years rust off my programming talent when LuckyPuck mentioned this project to me in October. Thus, my first crack at ASH scripting. As such, I didn't see much positive documentation in being able to filter things so that some overusers don't take advantage of the system. Sadly, there are some users out there that will max out every buff they can get, despite not needing them all.

The goal was to create a free public buffbot that is easy for newbies to use, and /msg was our key. If the request can be disambiguated using KOLMafia's mechanism while still filtering it as I'd stated, then I'd be happy. Right now, my logic construct allows me to add high-misspelled words and the like in addition to locking down to a single track per buff. Perhaps I can mingle-meld of both methodologies.

I'm glad to see the renewed interest in buffbot development - this no doubt can do some real good for our KOLmmunity. As a new member in the scripting community, thank you for comparing notes.

~ Dudicle

Last edited: