Bug - Cannot Reproduce Pressing Enter in the Name box no longer logs in

Theraze

Currently using r9484.

I think this behaviour changed back when the relay button was removed, but until recently, I could log in by changing to whatever my character name was and pressing enter. Recently, after choosing the name, I have to tab to the password field and press enter there instead. The change was causing me confusion, because I'd hit enter and wait (or change windows and let it try to process in the background) only to find that it hadn't actually started the process. I'm posting the bug report both to note it, and to help anyone else who might have been doing the same login process as myself and found themselves temporarily baffled by why mafia refuses to login for them in a timely manner. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Works for me. Not that I do that, anyway; I always press the button.

I am in the "Name" field.
I press Enter.
The focus switches to the Password box - and KoLmafia logs me in.

Theraze

Weird... I'm on Windows 7, Windows look and feel (which I think is the default)... and now it's working. Maybe something that I'm doing in the actual session is what's breaking it.

Please close the thread as cannot reproduce for now, and I'll keep doing more research? :( Thought I'd isolated it to reproducable, since it was steadily doing that with multiple logins/characters this morning, but it's stopped again...

Nifft

Please keep it open, actually.... I saw this a couple times over the weekend and just thought I'd mispressed the enter key. I cannot reproduce on the current PC, but will try some more on the PC I was seeing it on (Vista 64, nearly current build)

Theraze

Nifft, were you using multiple characters (login/logout/login/logout) as well?

Wonder if this is one of those things like the Vacation bug (if memory serves: multiple characters in same extended client session, same vacation, applies wrong password hash) that got fixed a month or three back.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Works for me.

Select character 1 in Login Frame
Hit Enter
(logs in)
Logout but do not exit KoLmafia
Select character 2 in Login Frame
Hit Enter
(logs in)

Nothing has changed in the Login Frame in forever other than removing a button.

I don't remember "the Vacation bug", but it is hard to imagine that an issue with reseting your per-character data across logins in the same instance could have anything whatsoever to do with how (OS and Java implementation dependent) GUI elements respond to keyboard input.

Theraze

Yeah... when I requested the bug be closed as cannot reproduce, I did exactly what you just described, with exactly the same success... It's when I'm actually playing and running turns/scripts that it was having issues. As I said, I'll try to run through multiple and see if I can find a common element.

Nifft

I'm wondering in my case if I typed "login xxxxx" on the gCLI and then got left sitting at the login page. Which I know will happen if I typo a char name and end up with something not in my GLOBALS file, but the name that was sitting in the login box looked ok, as I'm used to double-checking that when I don't get logged in. However, since it was more than 3 minutes ago, I can't be certain if it was a typed login attempt/enter or a login via auto-logout. Definitely more tries from the normal home PC in a few hours...

Nifft

After trying to have it happen again for two days both via login from the gcLI and logout/typed login... no go.

dunsel8

I have this problem with the 14.7 build (I think).

When I am playing through remote desktop on windows 7. After logging out of one character I cannot log in as another character by pressing enter, I must click login. Additionally autotext features don't function, such as the saved password being filled in when a character name is recognized or the dropdowns for combat action or mood effect providing a dropdown of matched text options.

Closing mafia completely and starting a new one restores functionality.

100% reproducible.

If I am playing directly on my computer (not remote desktop) I do not have this problem.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It is really unfortunate that your Java implementation and/or operating system is doing that to you.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I presume the same machine is always running mafia whether you are on it directly or using remote desktop? If so, you might start looking at the keystrokes remote desktop thinks are 'special'. It does not always pass keystrokes to the remote machine unmodified and which ones those are may hold a clue. That said, this definitely sounds like a problem with your environment rather than with mafia. So help may be limited.

Theraze

I think I've had this happen once since, but it's not reproducable in any sort of useful way. Except for when trying to log in during rollover... enter the first time works fine, but after it tells me to wait, enter again won't log in. Not sure where it's moved the focus. But that's an impatience thing, and definitely minor in the bug category. Though it's possible that it is the same issue...