Bug - Not A Bug Pair of pearidot earrings

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
modifiers.txt:

Code:
pair of pearidot earrings	Item Drop: [100*zone(The Candy Diorama)], Single Equip

I select the Lollipop Forest in the Adventure Location.

> modtrace Item Drop

Code:
Source                   Item Drop Penalty        Item Drop      Sporadic Item Drop
pair of pearidot earrings                      +100.00 = 100.0
mad looting skillz                              +20.00 = 120.0
powers of observatiogn                          +10.00 = 130.0
natural born scrabbler                           +5.00 = 135.0

I select Giant Castle in the Adventure Location:

> modtrace Item Drop

Code:
Source                   Item Drop Penalty        Item Drop      Sporadic Item Drop
mad looting skillz                               +20.00 = 20.0
powers of observatiogn                           +10.00 = 30.0
natural born scrabbler                            +5.00 = 35.0

I see no bug.

slyz

Developer
The amount of bonus item drop itself doesn't have any variation. It's just that it applies only in specific zones.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I'm confused. I thought the original comment was that the earrings were showing 100% drops everywhere. Veracity demonstrated that the earrings (correctly) showed 100% drop in the Diorama and 0% elsewhere. This is as far as I can tell expected and consistent behavior with what the wiki says.

The discussion here seems to be that the data keyword "variable" is used when the drop rate changes according to some factor but that factor is not the Zone it is being used in, correct?

slyz

Developer
Looking a little more closely, items like the Old Soft Shoes, who only give +item in certain zones, are indeed marked as "variable" in the Gear Changer frame. I wonder why Pearidot earrings aren't.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Does this mean this has become a Feature Request for the data keyword "variable" to have a consistent meaning either

a) variable means that the drop rate will be different in the same zone

OR

b) variable means that the drop rate will be different within and/or across zones?

b) is more precise in some linguistic fashion but a) gives the user more useful information, at least once they have selected a zone.

slyz

Developer
I checked the old soft shoes when I posted above, but I didn't check the pair of pearidot earring. They are indeed marked as Variable in the Gear Changer. Also:
Code:
> ash boolean_modifier( $item[ pair of pearidot earring ], "variable" )

Returned: true

Now I'm not sure what icon315 was referring to.