Missing Preferences

PVA

I've had a recurring problem with preferences disappearing and having to be entirely reset for characters. Any notion of what is behind that?

Bale

Minion
I've noticed that can sometimes happen if I try to activate two instances of KolMafia at the same time. Start KolMafia, and wait for the window appear, then start the second instance of KolMafia. Then you can log in both characters without fear that your global preferences will vanish.

Last edited:

Sandiman

I've had the same thing happen a few times. Usually the problem will exist for a few days, and then it will disappear. Making a new folder/reinstalled/whatever you want to call it seems to have no effect. My current hypothesis is that there is some sort of file timeout occurring because I'm running the .jar file from an NFS share on my network. Other than that, I don't see any reason mafia should read the preferences some times and not others. :-/

Bale

Minion
Because my method has kept me from having the problem I was assuming that the global preferences are locked while one instance is reading them, so the second instance tries to read, fails and then assumes there isn't a file. (Only my global preferences have been killed this way, not my character preference.)

This has only ever happened to me when I am trying to start up multiple instances of mafia at the same time. Has it happened to you when you are only running a single instance?

When I make a mistake and this happens, I quit the instance that lost preferences, then I quit the other instance, which has the global preferences. When I quit the instance that kept preferences it writes out the preferences to disk and they are rescued.

PVA

I am afraid that's not the case. This happens frequently when I am running only one instance; often multiple names wind up disappearing, especially if they're the last one I ended on, but it seems quite random, and on occasion happens to them all at once.