Bug - Fixed Meat Paste

Catch-22

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I've noticed this happen a few times now...

Purchasing meat paste (4 @ 100)...
You acquire meat paste (4)

Why does KoLmafia buy meat paste?

Steps to reproduce:

Type "acquire meat paste" in the CLI.

Code:
> acquire meat paste

Searching for "meat paste"...
Search complete.
Purchasing meat paste (1 @ 100)...
You acquire an item: meat paste
Purchases complete.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Why not? You told it to do "something" so that you had 4 meat paste in inventory when "something" had been completed. If you had said "create" I would expect different behavior but this is exactly what I would expect. If someone can demonstrate that buying meat paste is more server hits than making it from inventory then there might be something to do here but as it stands...

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Would it be better if this was a feature request? There is no reason why anyone would want meat paste to be auto-purchased from the mall (raffles are the only reason I can think of for buying them at all).

Buying them means two server hits (the search followed by the purchase) while making them should just mean one server hit.

On the other hand, I don't know why one would want to "acquire meat paste" when mafia will auto-create it any time it's needed. Maybe to use chat commands for crafting instead.

Winterbay

Why is it to be expected that acquire goes to buy the meat paste and create uses your meat to create it? "Acquire 1 bottle of rum" and "Create 1 bottle of rum" both buys fermenting powder and sugar canes and creates 3 bottles of rum. If one was expected to lean towards buying and one towards creating I would expect the first one to buy 1 bottle (for 100 meat) and the second to create 3 for a total cost of 270 meat.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Why is it to be expected that acquire goes to buy the meat paste and create uses your meat to create it? "Acquire 1 bottle of rum" and "Create 1 bottle of rum" both buys fermenting powder and sugar canes and creates 3 bottles of rum. If one was expected to lean towards buying and one towards creating I would expect the first one to buy 1 bottle (for 100 meat) and the second to create 3 for a total cost of 270 meat.

I either do not understand the commands involved or your logic. acquire gets the item in question via whatever means KoLmafia determines is "best" with that being shaped by user preferences and so on. It will also do nothing if the item is currently in inventory. So if it chooses to create something then it is because creation is the best means of obtaining the item. create, on the other hand, explicitly and unconditionally creates the requested item, obtaining components as required.

I make my comments not considering the case where under certain limited conditions the creation mechanics of KoL will not allow just one of an item to be created. I consider that a different FR that has been discussed under several guises.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I need to stop posting before my morning coffee. Is the OP's original complaint about the acquisition logic that will buy a meat paste for 100 meat instead of create it from inventory from 10 meat, thus wasting 90 meat? That does seem to be a concern and my apologies for misunderstanding the intent.

Catch-22

Revision 9836

Thanks Veracity :)

A bit of an anecdote here but I actually noticed this by trying to craft all my lowercase Ns and original G's into NGs, losing about 30k meat in the process and making one mall owner quite happy, haha. That'll teach me for relying on robots! ;)

Last edited: