Mafia won't launch on some computers

Anne Noise

Whenever I launch Mafia from a .jar file on some computers (namely my friend's computer right now) I end up seeing javaw.exe launch and close itself before doing anything. I can't seem to find anything wrong with his Java install or computer, and I've seen this issue pop up occasionally on a few different systems.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Last edited:
What operating system is he running? Do other java applications run?

I'm curious because sometimes I have the same problem and the only way to get mafia to run again is to restart my computer. Oddly though, when this occurs, a fresh instance of Kolmafia will run fine, so I'm assuming it's something in the data or scripts folder that cause the problem?! Anyways, it doesn't happen to me that often, once a month maybe, and when it does I just reboot and all is well again.

Anne Noise

He is running the most recent version of Sun's Java engine, not sure what it is since I am no longer on that computer. It's on WinXP.

I've also been having problems with the most recent build I downloaded - 7612 - erasing all preferences and login information. It happens every time I launch it, though older versions work fine and read the empty preferences file like normal, i.e., if I set the preferences in 7612, after it blanks them all, it saves them and everything works fine, but when I relaunch 7612, everything is blank again. This is the build I was having issues launching on other computers, and I have since redownloaded it and an older build, and am having the same issues with the fresh download of 7612.