Bug - Fixed Mafia removes the dreadscroll when it isn't actually consumed

Theraze

Let me guess: you unsuccessfully used a Dreadscroll once and, since KoLmafia has it marked as "usable", KoLmafia removes it from its internal model of the inventory.

Near as I can tell, the only time using it actually removes it from inventory is if you have already gone all the way through the Colosseum. According to the Wiki:

KoLmafia currently has no code to handle this correctly.

Theraze, you do this all the time: KoLmafia doesn't handle a specific item correctly - typically one of this sort, which is only conditionally removed from inventory - and when you notice it, you do not make a bug report. Instead, you just tell people "Oh, KoLmafia always messes up my inventory for me, so I just refresh it frequently."

Can you please get into the habit of filing bug reports when KoLmafia removes something from its model of inventory when KoL did not remove it - or the reverse of that?

You can start with the dreadscroll.

Thanks.

In addition to what Veracity said, it's also used up when you successfully complete the dreadscroll, whether or not you actually go into the battle with the boss. So mafia needs to recognize that it's NOT used up when you use it normally, but only when you get the message she listed above or when you complete the dreadscroll and become the high priest.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Thanks. The Wiki gives the message for becoming high priest:

You read the prophecy aloud from the scroll.
The murky darkness that led you to the scroll once again descends on you. But this time, there are voices in the darkness. Chanting voices.

You look up and find yourself surrounded by a circle of Mer-kin dressed in blood-red cowls. Their posture is not threatening -- I mean, they still look like jerks, but they don't look like jerks who are an immediate danger to you.

The circle closes in, the chanting intensifies, and you are suddenly wracked with searing pain in your forehead. It's like somebody drew a really elaborate rebus on you with a marker made of molten lead.

As the pain recedes, so does the circle of hooded Mer-kin. As the murk lifts, a voice inside your head gurgles:

"Arise, High Priest. They await you in the Temple."

I guess you're the Mer-kin High Priest now. Cool!
We need to recognize when you become the High Priest or the Gladiator Champion, anyway, since once you do that, you are locked into finishing the quest on that path, I believe.

GValko

We need to recognize when you become the High Priest or the Gladiator Champion, anyway, since once you do that, you are locked into finishing the quest on that path, I believe.

You lose access to the Colosseum (regardless of path) after becoming Champion or Priest. You can still go into the library, but the dread scroll adventure doesn't appear if you're a champion. If you already obtained the scroll before becoming champion, it gets destroyed upon subsequent use.

I'm not too sure what happens in the case you beat Dad, and then try to do the other paths though.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Unsuccessfully using a Mer-kin dreadscroll (incorrectly)removes it from the inventory

Mer-kin dreadscroll in inventory. Item manager opened and filtered on dread so item shows up. Go to relay browser and use the scroll. One or more clues is wrong so result is deep tainted mind (or whatever). Scroll disappears from the Item Manager list. Pressing refresh on the list restores the scroll

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Bump to remind myself to look at this tomorrow when I do the Scholar's path again.
I guess I'll have to intentionally complete it incorrectly, once, just to test. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 12511 will remove the scroll only if we notice the "you become high priest" message or the "sigil burned into your forehead" message.

If we want to track when you are committed to one or the other track - Scholar vs. Gladiator - this is one of the places we would record that, and I left a comment in the code to that effect. The other would be defeating Ringogeorge, the Bladeswitcher and being told "Arise, Champion. They are waiting for you in the Temple."

Tracking that would be another Feature Request. Maybe it already exists.

Theraze

I believe the similar FReq was for tracking your round. Since once you hit round 15, you've locked yourself into the Gladiator quest, and once you've lost the dreadscroll with clues known (so that you actually HAD the dreadscroll this ascension) and round < 15, you're locked into the Hatred quest.

Theraze

True. I was thinking that the value would only update on winning a round though, since whether you've completed 0 rounds or you're going into round 1, it's the same fight. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
This should have been fixed a long time ago. I still have never used the Dreadscroll and had it fail, since I always got all the clues - and I will, probably, never go into the The Sea again, now that I have been through it 27 times.

I'm marking this fixed.