Java 11 now required for KoLmafia, Java 17 recommended

Oh, kolmafia found the adoptium install automatically and worked fine, it's just that minecraft (or at least, 1.12.2 minecraft) immediately crashed on launch. I was able to figure out how to get the server bat and the client launcher to specify the path back to the existing java, so that should work for now.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Oh, kolmafia found the adoptium install automatically and worked fine, it's just that minecraft (or at least, 1.12.2 minecraft) immediately crashed on launch. I was able to figure out how to get the server bat and the client launcher to specify the path back to the existing java, so that should work for now.
What Hee3 is pointing out is that we have a KoLmafia build that includes a bundled JRE that means you don't have to change your old JDK. We haven't exactly announced it or rolled it onto the CI server, but it's there and we've used to to solve a few niche requests like this.

But Java versions typically coexist very nicely. You should be able to just set JAVA_HOME (or %JAVA_HOME%) and you're off to the races. The only coexistence problem I am aware of is that newer versions of Java only ship a JDK, and older versions of Windows can get confused if there is a Java 17 JDK and a Java 1.8 JRE on the same system.

According to this defect, it's just a bug in the launcher code where they check for version = X.X instead of version >= X.X. There's some tips in that for making it work.

Anyway, best of luck!