Bug - Fixed Item Overrides don't last between logins

Theraze

I've noticed this before, but thought I'd validate it, and it appears right... I get an all-year sucker from a fight on my second character this login, and the all-year sucker is not considered a valid item. On my initial character, it was fine...
Unrecognized item found: all-year sucker
Look! You found 1 none (50μ)!

KoLmafia declares world peace.

> ash $item[all-year]

Bad item value: "all-year" ()
Returned: void
I quit mafia, log in as the same character, and get this:
Updating inventory...
Looking at item #5497...
Unknown item found: all-year sucker (5497, 393461139)
--------------------
5497 all-year sucker usable display 0
5497 393461139 allyearsucker.gif all-year sucker
# all-year sucker
--------------------
Retrieving familiar data...
Familiar data retrieved.
Retrieving campground data...
Session data refreshed.
4 days until Halloween, Mysticism bonus tomorrow (not today).
1446 prices updated from http://kolmafia.us/scripts/updateprices.php?action=getmap

> ash $item[all-year]

Returned: all-year sucker
plural => all-year suckers
descid => 393461139
I log out, log in again, and get this:
Updating inventory...
Retrieving familiar data...
Familiar data retrieved.
Retrieving campground data...
Session data refreshed.
4 days until Halloween, Mysticism bonus tomorrow (not today).
Already updated from http://kolmafia.us/scripts/updateprices.php?action=getmap in this session.

> ash $item[all-year]

Bad item value: "all-year" ()
Returned: void

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I don't see the part where you used the "update save" command to tell KoLmafia to write override files. We don't do that any more automatically, since KoLmafia's automatically skipping of stale overrides doesn't seem to work for some people (although it has never ever failed to work for me) and they end up running with old data.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Oh, never mind. I see. You logged out and logged in again without exiting. I never do that, but something was funky when you did it.

The workaround is obvious.

Theraze

The bug I was reporting was that mafia creates in-memory overrides the first time it sees an unknown item on a specific execution session. After that, mafia recognizes the item as a partially known item, failing to add new in-memory overrides, but it's no longer usable in terms of the GUI. I was referring to running overrides, not override files.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
it's no longer usable in terms of the GUI.
You did not say - or demonstrate - that. You showed that it was not findable in ASH. In my tests, the all-year sucker showed up in the Item Manager - the GUI - and I could click on it to look at the description.

Theraze

Apologies... I was referring to using the maximizer GUI and other components. When the fudgecycle was new, the only way for me to maximize the second character using it was to avoid that acc slot. Since it was no longer a 'valid' internal item, it wasn't considered by the maximizer GUI, while it had been for the first character.

Is the proper solution to tell people to start using update save again?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Or, you know, simply exit KoLmafia between logging in different characters, if you have new items. Which is to say, the "obvious workaround" I referred to.

Theraze

Well, I was thinking that the logging off/in would actually be of benefit regarding server hits when trying to mall-buy something like fudge lilies or licorice root on the first day... would save several server hits as I'd just be able to buy them instead of needing to try to get mafia to acknowledge their existence before it lets me buy them.

But if the best solution for that is update save, I'll recommend that for saving server hits in the future. :)

Theraze

I expect it to work great, but will need to wait until rollover to validate, since the all-year sucker was added in 10146. I'll let you know tonight. Thanks so much, Veracity! It's just weird when I know I have an item that I should be able to buy, but I need to keep trying different server results until I get the override. Or I remember better and just go to the relay search and do it there, but that's usually not my first attempt, unfortunately.