Feature Improve fortune cookie counter discard logic

zarqon

If you have more than 3 active cookie counters, it can only mean that you have not visited adventure.php since your last semi-rare adventure was up, and therefore all of them are invalid -- and they should be all be discarded, probably along with printing a message explaining why (or linking to why).

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
"It can only mean", eh?

My multi got 6 different numbers from two fortune cookies a while ago. I just checked, and it turns out he ate them the turn after he completed 500 turns in the basement. So that IS consistent with your argument.

xKiv

Wasn't it spaded that the first cookie eaten would set your SR number, and therefore one of the numbers from the second cookie would be correct?

(and therefore: if, after this cookie, there would be more than 3 active cookie counters, or none of this cookie's numbers match any active cookie counter, remove all active cookie counters and then (re-)process this cookie's numbers)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
[37005] Fernswarthy's Basement (Level 500)
Encounter: Fernswarthy's Basement, Level 500
You acquire an item: Discount Telescope Warehouse gift certificate
eat 2 fortune cookie
You gain 2 Adventures
You lose some of an effect: Got Milk
You gain 2 Adventures
Lucky numbers: 124, 236, 10
Lucky numbers: 2, 37, 105
[37006] Limerick Dungeon
Encounter: The Apathetic Lizardman
You gain 10 Magicalness
eat 1 fortune cookie
You gain 2 Adventures
Lucky numbers: 200, 172, 175
[37179] Limerick Dungeon
Encounter: The Bleary-Eyed Cyclops
You acquire an item: cyclops eyedrops
None of the numbers from the first 2 cookies was correct. One adventure.php turn and the next cookie gave 3 numbers, one of which WAS correct.

zarqon

This also happened to me -- ate one cookie and all the numbers were rejected as out of range. What?? So I ate another, and two numbers were accepted, however it had a number in common with the previous cookie, that number being 283. This threw me for a loop until I ate another one and ended up with 5 cookie counters. I finally realized what was going on, so after clearing counters and visiting adventure.php, I ate another cookie and the numbers were good again.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Wasn't it spaded that the first cookie eaten would set your SR number, and therefore one of the numbers from the second cookie would be correct?

(and therefore: if, after this cookie, there would be more than 3 active cookie counters, or none of this cookie's numbers match any active cookie counter, remove all active cookie counters and then (re-)process this cookie's numbers)

Eating a cookie reveals the counter, it doesn't set it. If you spend a bunch of turns at the shore or in the basement and fail to set your semirare counter, the numbers from a fortune cookie are all meaningless.

zarqon

I suppose a related improvement would be to warn about cookie consumption if you haven't visited adventure.php since your last known SR flag. "Are you sure you want to eat a cookie? All of your numbers will be random and meaningless!"

Either way, discarding all cookie counters if you get more than 3 would be helpful.

stannius

If you'd eaten 3, though, you'd be guaranteed to get 6 wrong fortune cookie numbers. You'd need to check each fortune cookie for a few cases, depending on whether you'd spent turns since the last one.

You're not guaranteed wrong numbers, are you? Otherwise you could eat a few hundred cookies and rule out everything but the correct number. That would be pretty amusing.

Theraze

You're just guaranteed random numbers... eat 2 cookies, you'll probably have 6 possibilities. Eat 3 cookies, you'll probably have 9 possibilities. Eventually it'll think it's found what's "right", but it's not actually based on reality, just randomness.