Feature - Implemented Hide [buy] from relay mall search if the store is in forbiddenStores

Irrat

So I was thinking about making this a PR after accidentally using the wrong account to buy some items in relay.

As shown in the below image, the [buy] buttons just disappear if the store is in your forbidden list. You can buy items inside the store as normal.

1663179867377.png

Last edited by a moderator:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Why? Is this one of those "The Mall Is The Game" things?

If I am on a store's forbidden list then mafia already hides the store from me, correct?

If the store is on my forbidden list I suppose this could be useful but unless there is some kind of personal vendetta I don't see any use for my forbidden list.

Usually when I ask questions I am not convinced something is useful or necessary or of general interest. In this case I'm really asking about the motivation for having and using forbidden lists. Given that they are a thing, I don't see a problem with doing this.

Irrat

Why? Is this one of those "The Mall Is The Game" things?

If I am on a store's forbidden list then mafia already hides the store from me, correct?

If the store is on my forbidden list I suppose this could be useful but unless there is some kind of personal vendetta I don't see any use for my forbidden list.

Usually when I ask questions I am not convinced something is useful or necessary or of general interest. In this case I'm really asking about the motivation for having and using forbidden lists. Given that they are a thing, I don't see a problem with doing this.
In this case the general use is to avoid buying from stores for various reasons.

Such as for an example, a store that caters to newbies but you like buying that item. Or you have a mall bot that you don't want to buy from.

My specific example is a multi I control for some functions with chat, such as running a specific script or diagnostics.

So I don't want to ignore that. But I accidentally used it to buy from my main store because I was in the relay page and didn't notice and just wanted to be clever and unstock my store by buying the items instead of using the store manager. AKA, multi abuse.

It was originally added for duffo, used by people that didn't want to hurt the project by buying items that were limited to one a day. Those items were mall min and the store owner had issues with people making multis to buy the items.

So adding to forbidden stores meant we didn't accidentally buy that item.

Also it means you can choose not to buy from the store of someone who's practices you dislike, such as buying everyone out just to raise the price artificially.

Rinn

Developer
Can you also hide the links for the stores that you've already hit the limit for as well, since those buy links won't be able to make a transaction?

Irrat

Can you also hide the links for the stores that you've already hit the limit for as well, since those buy links won't be able to make a transaction?
Those are greyed out though, as you can see in the screenshot.

I think removing the links would be more confusing there.

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
Seems reasonable to me.

Given that the behaviour of Mafia here is going to be totally different from KoL (KoL hides the links if the store owner requests it, Mafia hides if in Forbidden stores), could you instead put some red text -- something like "forbidden store" -- just to make it clear that's what's going on?

Otherwise I expect we'll have a feature request down the line from somebody assuming it works like KoL and asking us to put in the buy buttons because they've forgotten they've configured forbidden stores.

As an aside, you can also prevent yourself from buying from your main by having your main block your multi and prevent purchases from blocked accounts.

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
Yeah I'd rather have a strikethrough on the buy link with a title that says its in your forbidden stores, but lets you buy anyway if you do click

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Given that the behaviour of Mafia here is going to be totally different from KoL (KoL hides the links if the store owner requests it, Mafia hides if in Forbidden stores), could you instead put some red text -- something like "forbidden store" -- just to make it clear that's what's going on?
KoLmafia overrides KoL's behavior in the Relay Browser: if the store owner disables direct buying from the mall search, KoLmafia obligingly inserts a buy link. The method which does this is opinionated:

Code:
      if (!nobuyersMatcher.find()) {
        // Good store which does not disable buying from search results
        continue;
      }

// Bad store which disables buying from the search results.

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
I'd rather something a little less gaudy - greyed out, struck through that sort of thing. But whatever!