Bug - Fixed Evil eye reduces evil in nook by 3

Theraze

Using an evil eye reduces the evil in the nook by 3. This isn't being tracked yet.
Mood swing complete.

Using 1 evil eye...
Finished using 1 evil eye.

Visit to Cyrpt: Defiled Nook in progress...
And then I thought to check, and...
KoLmafia declares world peace.

> checkevil

Total - 46
Alcove - 0
Cranny - 0
Niche - 0
Nook - 43

> use evilometer

Using 1 Evilometer...
Finished using 1 Evilometer.

> checkevil

Total - 43
Alcove - 0
Cranny - 0
Niche - 0
Nook - 43

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The code is there in UseItemRequest to do that and it worked perfectly when I tested it yesterday.
It'll be next week some time before I can look again.

Edit: Ah, I see. As your CLI output shows, it does update the Nook count, but not the Total count. Which is to say, your bug report was (more than) a little misleading, claiming as it did that we don't reduce the Nook evilness...

Right. I'll fix that.

Edit 2: Revision 9258

Last edited:

Theraze

Sorry! I obviously misread it and screwed up that title/report. Thank you for making it work anyways. :)

Some questions I was thinking about related to this, but that I don't know if anyone here can easily/quickly answer... in the case of not having 3 evil left in the nook, but more than 0... does it still work? Does it say it's removing 3 evil or does it do 2 or 1 evil... does it give the failure message instead? Would it bug our total evilness by subtracting 3 if it still has the original message?

I'll try to remember to check this (possibility of alternate messages on not having 3 nook evil left) out next time I do the cyrpt. Thanks for the speedy fixings, Veracity! :)

Bale

Minion
Some questions I was thinking about related to this, but that I don't know if anyone here can easily/quickly answer... in the case of not having 3 evil left in the nook, but more than 0... does it still work? Does it say it's removing 3 evil or does it do 2 or 1 evil... does it give the failure message instead? Would it bug our total evilness by subtracting 3 if it still has the original message?

I'll try to remember to check this (possibility of alternate messages on not having 3 nook evil left) out next time I do the cyrpt. Thanks for the speedy fixings, Veracity! :)

Boost item drops, but not use any of the evil eyes until you are down to 25 evil so that you can skip the boss? Extreme case. It would be neat if there was some special event that could only be accessed in this manner. Good spading to you!

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The sub-boss shows up when there is 25 in a particular zone. If the last thing you did that reduced evilness did so by more than one, you can have less than 25 evilness left when the boss shows up. When you defeat the boss, I reduce the evilness in the zone by the amount remaining - i.e., set it to 0 - rather than simply subtracting 25.

The evil eye is a unique case, in that you could, conceivably, fight (up to) 25 monsters and accumulate them and skip the boss, as you suggest. I did not consider that case, and therefore do not subtract only 2 or 1.

That is very much an edge case. I suspect that the numbers work out such that using an evil eye as soon as you get it and thus decreasing the number of normal skeletons you fight will result in fighting fewer fights over all than saving up 9 or more of them and using them all at once after you drop the evilness low enough. In other words, I suspect that is guaranteed to be sub-optimal. :)

I'll adjust the code to account for it, nonetheless.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Actually, here is the "proof of suboptimality".

If you get 6 evil eyes in the first 7 fights, and use them right away, you will reduce evilness to 25 and fight #8 is the boss. That's the minimum number of turns to spend in the Nook.

If you get 13 evil eyes in the first 13 fights and save them up, you will reduce evilness to 37 and your evil eyes will allow you to skip the boss. That's the minimum number of turns to skip the boss.

If you don't get an evil eye from every single fight, you will spend more turns in either scenario, but reducing evilness to 25 and fighting the boss will always take fewer turns than voluntarily fighting more one-evilness fights in order to skip a single 25 evilness fight.

slyz

Developer
To skip the boss, you will use 9 eyes to skip one fight. Even if only one of those 9 eyes had been used to skip 3 fights instead, it would have been better than skipping the boss. And that's not even counting the stats from the boss fight.