Feature - Implemented Don't dismiss Fortune Cookie counter 0 until warning screen is answered

Bale

Minion
r12094 reminded me of a problem that it might be time to address

When my fortune cookie counter hits 0 and I click on a location in the relay browser, mafia displays a warning screen telling me that it is time for a semi-rare and asking me if I really want to adventure in that location.

When this happens, my timer is dismissed. It doesn't wait for me to approve or disapprove of the location. The timer is already gone. I would appreciate if the cookie (0) counter was only dismissed after if I tell it that I actually do want to adventure in that location. After all, if I don't want to adventure there I might want to be warned again when I click on another location.

You might be wondering why I care. Mostly because ChIT has a semi-rare advisor that only displays when the counter is at 0. It warns me when the counter is at 0, but if I wasn't watching closely the advisor will vanish once I click on a location and get the warning screen.

Please help!

roippi

Developer
Probably trivial to change, without looking at it. Are there going to be users annoyed with the always-warn behavior?

Or do we want some hybrid behavior that warns just the once but still preserves the counter? I don't see that as being particularly more useful than always-warn.

Fluxxdog

I would say keep the timer and always warn. What Bale says makes sense.

And to be fair, roippi, there will always be someone annoyed with something. Can't please everyone ^^

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I would say keep the timer and always warn. What Bale says makes sense.

And to be fair, roippi, there will always be someone annoyed with something. Can't please everyone ^^

But if they express that opinion using the word "annoy" or variations thereof, they will probably be ignored anyway. ;-)

Bale

Minion
Whoa! I was just looking for a friendly discussion. No reason for anyone to start dropping A-bombs!

Bale

Minion
Always awesomely attentive assembler, absent altercationist answer, appeasing assessment appealed.

Last edited:

roippi

Developer
Sooooo

Changing the inequality on line 296 of TurnCounter.java from <= to < basically does the "hybrid" method. I think. It only warns once but 0-value counters are not cleared until adventuring. Doing the always-warn method is actually pretty non-trivial.

Anyway, easy change is easy, but this is the type of thing that always has unintended consequences. If someone who more thoroughly uses counters wants to verify that that change doesn't break things, it might be a good idea.

roippi

Developer
Shrug, let's try it. r12123, close to untested. I give this the ever-coveted Most Likely Commit To Be Reverted award.

Bale

Minion
Quite. It's been behaving beautifully and without any side effects despite roippi's ominous pronouncement.

This is now marked implemented. :D