Deprecate scriptMRU?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Not sure where this belongs. Long ago I added the option to have the Scripts Menu display a list of the most recently used scripts. Over the years three things happened that made it less useful. The first was that adding and deleting from the list needed to be synchronized, thus slowing things down. Second the Bookmark capability was enhanced and it was embraced as an alternative. Finally, and perhaps as a side effect of the Bookmark work, there were intermittent cases where the Scripts menu was rebuilt with a lot of blank space and empty sections. These also occurred when scriptMRU was not enabled but seemed to be more frequent when it was enabled. Regardless when it occurred the menu was borderline unusable since the list did could not be scrolled.

In recent years I recall deciding that making the GUI component scrollable was not feasible and that the malformed menu may have been an interaction with static initializations that appended rather than cleared.. But I got distracted before coming to any resolution.

I decided to revisit this and the first thing I did was reenable scriptMRU on one character. That raised automated run time by a factor a factor of at least four (under 30 minutes to over two hours) and KoLmafia was borderline unusable in terms of response time. Since I have transitioned to the Bookmark option I wonder if it is time to just deprecate the scriptMRU and yank out the code?

If the consensus to deprecate is Yes then I will first modify the code to warn current users about possible deprecation and solicit feedback.

If the decision is deprecate it, however reached, is No then someone (probably me but I have tried before and failed) needs to speed things up and possibly fix the intermittent display bug.

Comments? Suggestions?

As a single data point, I rarely use the script menu (I usually just type the script name into the CLI) and I have never used the script MRU.

Back