Bug - Cannot Reproduce Dance Card Counter Issue

Cait

Using r9731, I was running dance cards to grind up some stats and noticed some odd behavior. When I hit the "use another dance card" link that Mafia adds to Rotting Matilda, it sets my Dance Card counter to 2. If I instead use it from inventory, it properly sets the counter to 3.

This has been brought up in one or more threads before. The issues here is that KoL is not sending out a charpane update after the Rotting Matilda adventure (from my experience, this is not a random thing; it always fails). I've verified that these lack of charpane updates occur without mafia, and in browsers I've never used mafia with. When I submit bug reports, they keep insisting this is some browser issue of mine, but I've done everything that is supposed to resolve it and it never gets any better.

So if RM was your turn 405, mafia still thinks it is turn 404 when it uses the card. Once you get a charpane refresh (say, immediately), mafia sees adventure 405 has already passed, and decrements the counter. Other than finding adventures that the game is currently frequently failing to give charpane updates for and hardcoding mafia to forcibly refresh once it sees them come up, I don't think this is something mafia can fix. Certainly not a mafia bug specifically in my experience.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Thanks, but I'm confused. Is the "they" who keep blaming your browser KoL devs or KoLmafia devs? And are you really saying that you think the problem with RM is a KoL problem and not a KoLmafia problem? Thanks.

KoL Devs.

Yes, I think it is not a Mafia problem. It is a KoL/isp/router/browser issue that happens to very many people across very many setups. Which leads me to believe it is a KoL issue specifically, as you don't spontaneously find half of clan chat talking about how they have problems like this if it's something specific to the player.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Works for me. I attach a debug log.

- Adventure in Ballroom and get Rotting Matilda
- In the responseText, Kol asks for a charpane update
- KoLmafia issues a CharpaneRequest.
- Click on "use another dance card" link.
- In the responseText, KoL asks for a charpane update.
- KoLmafia issues a CharPaneRequest.

Net result: in the charpane, the Dance Card counter is on (3). It has ALWAYS, no exception, behaved like that for me.

Not reproducible. I see no bug in KoLmafia's response to what KoL gave it.

Now, if KoL fails to ask for a charpane update, as Fred indicates it does, all bets are off. But that's not a KoLmfia bug.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20110821.txt
    27.1 KB · Views: 80

roippi

Developer
I'm now noticing that my charpane fails to reflect changes in the last round of combat in about 40-50% of combats. I have no idea if it's because I switched charpane overrides, or if it's because I'm using a different CCS, or if I've just done something to make KOL angry at me. While I don't doubt that there are some KOL-side issues, I wouldn't rule out there being a mafia issue where the charpane misses a refresh.

(whoa, V ninja)

The charpane not updating during combat is also something that's happened to me. Basically, there are many times where charpane updates are missing, and it's my observation and opinion that this is not a mafia-specific bug. Though I'd love a solution from any angle that doesn't involve me manually refreshing my charpane when I know/suspect it hasn't refreshed, since I know of no way whatsoever of resolving the problem.

EDIT: Next time I'm leveling in the ballroom, I will enable the debug log so it can catch one or more of the missing charpanes. I think I have one more card left in my current run, so I might even have that later tonight or tomorrow. Or I could use a multi, I guess, but on the off chance it's somehow influenced by being in a run, I'd rather do it while in-run.

Last edited: