Completely New, Looking For Some Guidance.

KyleMoherKOL

Hey, I'm completely new here. I was looking around for a "getting started" section but could find no such thing :(

So I played KoL WAY back in the day, took like a 5-6 year hiatus, and have started playing again. I was told by the KoL chat and after looking it up on the wiki, that KoLmafia can make things extremely simple, and better yet - can automate actions for me. Awesome. See, I love KoL but unfortunately I go away every weekend.

So I downloaded KoLmafia 16.0 and got it up and running.

But now, I've not a clue what to do. I'm going away this weekend and am looking for a way to automate my accounts to use their turns doing whatever, eat and drink and use their spleen on anything they can in their inventory, then log out and go to the next one. After creeping around, I'm still confused on how to do any of this. I'm using Windows, and if I understand right, I'll need to set up a scheduled task for it to be automated without me. But that's about all I've understood. I also noticed there was apparently a script which could farm for the best possible meat gain out there, but the issue was they wanted a Mr. A for the password to the file, and while normally I'd have no issue contributing to something I'd use, I'm not exactly in a financial situation where I can afford to donate (Otherwise by all means, I understand that it took time to make, and donating to them is completely acceptable. I just can't in this situation :( ).

So, with that said, can someone help a completely newbie at this, and possibly help me set something up so that my accounts can be self-preforming while I'm gone on the weekends?

Thank you very much in advance!

Edit: To be more specific, I'd like for my acc's to each:

1.) Eat the best food/drink/spleen each has available in their inventory up until their full/almost drunk/spleen full (15/15/15)
2.) Adventure at x place completing whatever is best option/fighting whatever necessary
3.) Check inventory if any food/drink items were obtained that they can further use (For example, Multi1 has 1 food item upon signing in, and uses it. Fullness is only at 3. After adventuring, Multi1 gains 4 more burritos, therefore can use them to adventure)
4.) Use any new adventures produced
5.) (Step 3 & 4 until adventures/food/drink/spleen are exhausted)
6.) Drink final drink
7.) Change into adventure gaining gear
8.) Sign out, go to next multi, repeat 1-7.

Each multi is at different points therefore I can't exactly have them go to the same place until I wanted to adventure somewhere low for garbage.

Also, is there a way to have them buy/use chewing gum on a string and purchase ten-leaf clovers then closet them?

Again, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Hey, I'm completely new here. I was looking around for a "getting started" section but could find no such thing :(

There's a pretty good "getting started" over HERE, although it is a tiny bit out of date.

So I downloaded KoLmafia 16.0 and got it up and running.

I hate to say this, but the point releases get outdated by changes to the game. It has been too long since the last point release. I recommend that you use a daily build from Daily Builds. If you want to automatically update, there's a great tool for that called Warp.

I also noticed there was apparently a script which could farm for the best possible meat gain out there, but the issue was they wanted a Mr. A for the password to the file, and while normally I'd have no issue contributing to something I'd use, I'm not exactly in a financial situation where I can afford to donate (Otherwise by all means, I understand that it took time to make, and donating to them is completely acceptable. I just can't in this situation :( ).

That Mr. A thing is way outdated. The current hot farming script is Harvest. The author does not require you to pay for it. You'll need to get an updated version of KoLmafia as discussed in the previous answer to even install this script.

So, with that said, can someone help a completely newbie at this, and possibly help me set something up so that my accounts can be self-preforming while I'm gone on the weekends?

The remainder of your questions are more involved than I am ready to get into at the moment, but I promise they are all solvable and hopefully someone else will continue your education.

ereinion

That Mr. A thing is way outdated. The current hot farming script is Harvest. The author does not require you to pay for it. You'll need to get an updated version of KoLmafia as discussed in the previous answer to even install this script.
To add to that, dj_d has actually OKed people to use make.meat.fast without paying him (her?) a mr. a. I don't know if it is actually updated at this point, or if it makes more meat than Harvest, but reading on from that post I linked to should give you some idea.

As for your other questions, I think Bale covered those quite well, except for how to set up a scheduled task for launching mafia, which I don't feel competent enough to give an answer to. I think it has been asked before on these boards though?

Last edited:

KyleMoherKOL

Alrighty, so far, so good! Thank you thus far! I'm currently reading up on that wiki page as it is to try and learn what I can, as best I can. Is there anything else other than that main wiki page I should read?

I'm going to check out all links provided, update accordingly, etc. once I get a bit more informed - I figure it's better to learn what I can and ask questions from there rather than ask questions that will be answered if I just lurk a bit more. Provided it's not contained in the wiki pages I saw and I can't figure it out on my own - if any further readers want to contribute to the last part of my post, it'd be appreciated!

I appreciate the help so far and I'll be sure to post here if anything else arises - you guys have been really helpful so far :) Thanks!

Edit: Sorry, having an issue with Warp. I downloaded the WarpLauncher64.exe as I'm using 64 bit Windows. Upon opening it, I receive the message "Failed to find Java VM". Any ideas?

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Edit: Sorry, having an issue with Warp. I downloaded the WarpLauncher64.exe as I'm using 64 bit Windows. Upon opening it, I receive the message "Failed to find Java VM". Any ideas?

The WarpLauncher needs you to also download Warp.jar (which is the first link on that page).

That page could seriously benefit from having some instructions there. In short, Warp.jar is the program that really does the job. All WarpLauncher does is to launch Warp.jar. You can even skip WarpLauncher as it isn't necessary for many purposes. I believe it was added mostly for the benefit of Windows7,8 users who want to pin it to the task bar.

KyleMoherKOL

Sorry for the double post, for whatever reason my browser won't allow me to edit my old post.

So I've come across an issue I can't seem to resolve. I was following the tutorial on the KoLMafia wiki that was linked above. I'm starting to learn the ropes, and it's a blessing. My issue is - when creating drinks/items/food through the item manager, it shows me things I can create because I have at least 1 of the objects. Awesome. But my issue is - it doesn't inform me which item I have, and how much the other item will cost.

Is there a way for it to display this information for me, or at least have it NOT purchase items to create things, so that it shows me stuff that can be created ONLY with items I have?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Sorry for the double post, for whatever reason my browser won't allow me to edit my old post.
Don't worry about double posting. Editing your post two hours later means that many people won't see the updated post anyway.

Is there a way for it to display this information for me, or at least have it NOT purchase items to create things, so that it shows me stuff that can be created ONLY with items I have?
General -> Preferences -> Item Acquisition, uncheck things there as desired.

Ethelred

Edit: To be more specific, I'd like for my acc's to each:

1.) Eat the best food/drink/spleen each has available in their inventory up until their full/almost drunk/spleen full (15/15/15)
2.) Adventure at x place completing whatever is best option/fighting whatever necessary
3.) Check inventory if any food/drink items were obtained that they can further use (For example, Multi1 has 1 food item upon signing in, and uses it. Fullness is only at 3. After adventuring, Multi1 gains 4 more burritos, therefore can use them to adventure)
4.) Use any new adventures produced
5.) (Step 3 & 4 until adventures/food/drink/spleen are exhausted)
6.) Drink final drink
7.) Change into adventure gaining gear
8.) Sign out, go to next multi, repeat 1-7.

Each multi is at different points therefore I can't exactly have them go to the same place until I wanted to adventure somewhere low for garbage.

Also, is there a way to have them buy/use chewing gum on a string and purchase ten-leaf clovers then closet them?

Again, thanks in advance!

Doing all the stuff you want to do is a BIG job. It's going to take a lot longer than a couple of days to get it all in place. I've been playing for over 7 years and was a professional programmer in my day job and I'm still not there. Plan on spending at least a month to get get a useful subset of all that implemented. Be patient and post your questions here and you will receive lots of help and good advice.

KoL is a very complicated and dynamic game with things changing on the fly at unpredictable times, so fully automated unattended operation is a lot to ask. With advice from the experts on this forum (of which I'm not one), you should be able to get something that runs. If you don't worry too much about optimization and settle for something that's "good enough", you'll probably get there a lot faster.

Last edited:

KyleMoherKOL

Don't worry about double posting. Editing your post two hours later means that many people won't see the updated post anyway.

General -> Preferences -> Item Acquisition, uncheck things there as desired.

I checked there, and "Buy items from the mall whenever needed" is NOT checked. I double and triple checked - yet it will still purchase from the mall.

Theraze

Laziest way to do that is to use eatdrink for item 1/3/6. If you're going for not buying anything, just set stepmeat to 0 and it won't be able to spend anything. It's what fistcore does. Just remember to set it to whatever bounds you want... if that's 15/15/15, set that. If it's 15/19/15, set that. If it's 13/19/15 (for potential cookies), use that. And don't tell it to overdrink until you get done. And remember if you don't have a bartender or chef (but do have the relevant skills) that fancy crafting takes turns, and so burning down to 0 adventures left means you'll have a different subset of consumables than if you went earlier. And that avoiding the mall only hurts the ones you love. And the fives you love. Possibly other denominations of meat as well. Since you're saying you'd rather 'spend' more meat (since your inventory consumables could be sold as well) because it's a lower initial outlay.

For item 2/4, adventure somewhere using WHAM as your CCS and probably BBS or some other nice fancy script to keep things running smoothly.

For item 5, throw the 2/3 loop (since 3/4 is exactly the same as 1/2 and, by extension, 5) into a while check that aborts if you're out of adventures. By finishing up with the added consumables, it means that if we have no adventures left that you've run out of things to comsume and would be stuck in an infinite loop without some sort of nice break-point. This does mean that 4 no longer exists, but we can deal with that.

For item 7, just set a logout script to maximize adventures. It will automatically do your best rollover gear.

Theraze

Right at the start or the day or right at the end... either way, the explanations sort of trickle away. :D