Bug - Not A Bug Chat message deletion problem

The chat message feature that goes through previously sent messages when the up and down arrow keys are pressed, when presented with a down arrow upon a never-before-sent message, deletes the message, and I cannot get it back no matter how much screwing around I do with the arrows or the undo hotkey, and in what order. (Version 27498, was in 27428 for sure and probably in 27350 and 27309 as well)

To reproduce:
1. Open KoLmafia chat with the ghost of the english language button.
2. Type any message of your choosing.
3. Press the down arrow.

Last edited:

Irrat

To clarify, this behavior is not so much a bug as it is a feature request. That behavior is normal and expected. It would be nice though.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Pressing the up or down arrow populates the text entry with the prior message or the next one if there is one (after pressing the up arrow, for instance.

In the gCLI, the same phenomena occurs.

When you overwrite the text entry, the list of prior messages does not add the current string to the list, so it can't be restored.

There is a small difference between the gCLI text entry box and the chat text entry box, and it's that the gCLI goes to the first character if you press the up arrow when there is no previous history and to the last character if there is no next history item.

Perhaps this should be a feature request to make the chat entry box work the same as the gCLI. Would that meet your need?

Not that I am volunteering to do it, yet, but I would like to help you make a better request to the volunteer coders who you are hoping to persuade to take up your change. For some reason, we respond better to clear and positive requests.

Pressing the up or down arrow populates the text entry with the prior message or the next one if there is one (after pressing the up arrow, for instance.

In the gCLI, the same phenomena occurs.

When you overwrite the text entry, the list of prior messages does not add the current string to the list, so it can't be restored.

There is a small difference between the gCLI text entry box and the chat text entry box, and it's that the gCLI goes to the first character if you press the up arrow when there is no previous history and to the last character if there is no next history item.

Perhaps this should be a feature request to make the chat entry box work the same as the gCLI. Would that meet your need?

Not that I am volunteering to do it, yet, but I would like to help you make a better request to the volunteer coders who you are hoping to persuade to take up your change. For some reason, we respond better to clear and positive requests.
Yes, that would exactly. Thank you very much for fixing my wording to make it more clear and educating me on factors of which I knew not. That would be exactly what would help me, and at the time I posted the original message I genuinely believed that it was a bug. I would enjoy having your help with making a better request, as oftentimes I do not realize what I am about to say has been ignorant of a glaringly obvious societal more, or just entirely misinformed of the situation, to say nothing of when I have convinced myself that something is acceptable when it is clearly not! That is why I posted my original message that way, and will be fixing it shortly.