Bug - Not A Bug Auto-crafting ng before going up the tower

Mr Purple

KoLMafia appears to automatically make an ng before you go up the tower and have the appropriate items in inventory. Maybe there could be an option to turn it off?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It should only be doing this if you have fewer than 6 telescope pieces, I think. If you have 6 or 7 telescope pieces (and mafia knows about them, check with "telescope" to make sure I guess?) and mafia is making an NG, then that sounds like a bug. If you have fewer, then this is a feature request that's likely to be shot down since it can save a turn and can't cost more than 10 meat.

Mr Purple

I have one scope piece, but I kill tower monsters without items if I need to. Last run it cost me a pull by using up my only lowercase n that was destined for a wand.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Used up a pull? You can untinker it to make the wand of nagamar. It cost you nothing or 10 meat, no matter what.

Edit: Oh, you automated tower monsters, and it used the item up. Maybe. Or it wasted a server hit maybe, because you force-killed the tower monster anyway.

Mr Purple

Yes - I automated the tower, not realising that mafia created the ng automatically and would use up the n. Clearly it's a lesson to take more care!

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
You can't automate the tower if force killing the monsters is really something you plan to do. Mafia would start the fight, realize you don't have the item, and run away, wasting a turn. You're complaining about the lost pull when you're basically guaranteeing that you will lose turns with your automation?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
If you use KoLmafia's built-in Tower script, it uses the expected combat item to kill the monsters.
If you are killing the tower monsters without items, you are ascending the tower manually.

Are you saying that KoLmafia made an NG for you when you manually clicked on the tower? I wasn't aware it did that, but, that seems reasonable; if you immediately encounter a globe and don't intent to kill it abnormally, you will waste a turn by running away if you don't have an NG.

But if it makes an NG and you manually climb the tower and find the globe and kill it without using the NG, well, all you have to do is untinker the NG to retrieve your letters. I am sorry it "cost you a pull" because you forgot about the Untinker - but that is hardly KoLmafia's fault, is it? At most, it "cost" you 10 Meat for a meat paste.

Mr Purple

I had runaways to spare on the GAP, had most items anyway from a lazy run and little time to spare. I suppose it was more that I was surprised at mafia doing something I had not told it to do when the only other times it seems to do that are when it is the natural choice to make (making a talisman o' nam, making a badass belt. Even the staff of ed isn't automatically created, I assume for pool players).

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The Staff of Ed is auto-created when you click on the pyramid, actually.

Force killing tower monsters isn't something normal people did when that tower code was last changed, so auto-creating an NG was as sensible as auto-buying hair spray.

Mr Purple

Well, I live and learn and now know what to look out for next time. That or get my scope pieces!

Thank you both for your time.

roippi

Developer
Mafia also acquires a hair spray, same reason. Trivially cost-free, and possibly turn saving.

Even the staff of ed isn't automatically created, I assume for pool players).

It's automatically created when you click on the pyramid.

Anyway, the consensus is that just something is "surprising" does not mean it's a bug. There's obviously no permanent harm done by creating that NG. Nor do I see sufficient merit for adding a hidden preference to control this feature. Now, mafia may do the tower prep silently, in which case I'd be fine with things being more gCLI verbose.

ETA: Whoa, a second page I didn't see that obviates the need for this post