Bug Action bar buttons causing system default error beeps?

Zaranthos

Windows 7 64bit with KoLmafia r9946 and going back to at least 9929 or before. I use the relay browser combat action bar to adventure (not hotkeys) in Firefox 7.0.1 and after a while I start getting Windows error beeps randomly when doing attacks/skills from the relay action bar buttons. Seems to happen after I've been playing for a while and I have no idea how to reliably reproduce it but it's almost like KoLmafia is sending multiple key presses or something that's causing a Windows error beep. Not really any idea what's causing the beep other than it happens after I click an attack button or skill button like shieldbutt after clicking feed.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
it's almost like KoLmafia is sending multiple key presses or something that's causing a Windows error beep.
KoLmafia does not and cannot "send keypresses" to your bowser.

Not that I can help with this; I don't use the CAB and I don't use Windows and I have no idea what a "Windows error beep" is.

I'm getting this same behavior on a Mac, running Lion and the latest Mac Java 6u26. It plays whatever my default notification sound is set to, seemingly at random.

Zaranthos

The key press thing is only an example since I know I can bash my keyboard and get windows to make an error beep. What must be happening is something with the action bar buttons is causing a Windows error thus the beep (you can't do that dummy). What "that" is I have no idea. I doubt it's the feed skill from the fangs that's the cause either, that just happens to be one of the skills I've been using this ascension.

Edit: It just did it with completely different equipment and not using the combat action bar at all. I was just clicking attack and adventure again in the relay browser. Unless getting beaten up caused it. I lost that fight and it auto-used a personal massager to remove beaten up.

Edit: Just did it again after I won the fight with a bee thoven hitting them with shieldbutt. It's the default Windows sound since I checked the system sounds to see for sure.

Last edited:

Zaranthos

I only use the relay browser chat and I haven't been getting any PM's. FYI, I can create the same system beep in KoLmafia by trying to backspace key on the gCLI exec line with nothing there to delete.

holatuwol

Developer
It'll beep for relay browser chat also, I think. Guess we could print a stack trace every time the beep stuff is called to trace it, but not sure if that's worthwhile.

Zaranthos

Today it was looking like it wasn't going to happen and then BING it did. Nothing going on in chat at all around the time it beeped either. Completely normal end of combat also. I can't think of any reason for it other than some internal glitch that happens after fairly extended use. I had just used my 240th adventure when it first did it.

Edit: Shortly after that the next extended use bug popped up. Relay chat scroll bar vanishes and chat starts randomly scrolling up creating white space until eventually all you can see is the latest couple lines of chat. If I /exit chat and start it again it starts working normally.

Last edited:
I've heard random system beeps (these are beeps on the computer BIOS or whatever; not through the speakers and audio card) while using mafia before, but I can't offer much more than that right now. I'll try to pay attention if it happens again in the near future, see if I have something more constructive to add.

Zaranthos

I was playing in the game grid and it happened so it has nothing to do with the combat action bar and it doesn't do it with relay chat PM's either so that's not it. It happened a total of one time in the game grid and I was doing all the game grid stuff all day long so it seems rare there compared to normal adventuring.