Bug - Not A Bug A pile of Old Servers not showing in r9529+

Let me start by saying I know revision 9529 was supposed to have added this new area but I've tried running it and I'm not seeing the new area. I've also tried 9533 and it's not showing in there for me either.

Taking a queue from a problem I had last week i did an "update clear" and restarted and I'm now seeing it.

I wasn't sure how to title/tag this thread but I wanted to post for two reasons. First, in case someone else has this same problem and second in order to let you know that this is still happening. I thought Veracity said something about not allowing people to use override files or something previously, and I can assure you that since I did the "update clear" last week I've not done anything funky.

Anyway, feel free to change the title or move the thread as appropriate - I just wanted to make sure it got denoted someone on here for reasons mentioned.

Rinn

Developer
I don't like the idea of not being able to use override files since I'll typically add a new zone or something myself temporary before it's added to mafia, then clear it out later (which is an advance case and I know what I'm doing), however it probably wouldn't hurt having some kind of apparent message when someone is loading up mafia data files from the data directory rather then from inside the build.

I wonder though, if overrides in the data directory would be safer if they didn't overwrite the entire map, and instead only overwrote specific lines or appeneded to the file that exists in the build. So you could have a monsters.txt file for example with only one monster in it, and that would override only that specific monster if it already existed, otherwise append it to the end.

The main concern I guess I have is, I'm not savvy enough with mafia to intentionally use an override file so between my update clear last week and today I can guarantee you I haven't personally done anything to have invoked the usage of the override. It makes me nervous that something is causing it to happen that not user-initiated, which for all intents and purposes would be intentional and as such known to the user who presumably knows what they're doing - unlike me.

Orbrisa

I have build 9532 and the zone shows up for me. However, a clannie has 9535 and typing "update clear" and restarting didn't fix this problem for her. (She does have a history of using the "update data" command though so ... who knows. By which I mean, maybe only a clean installation of Mafia would fix this problem, but I don't actually know enough to be certain.)

Bale

Minion
I thought Veracity said something about not allowing people to use override files or something previously.

Some people like to be able to use override files, so Veracity left that functionality in place.

However, a clannie has 9535 and typing "update clear" and restarting didn't fix this problem for her. (She does have a history of using the "update data" command though so ... who knows. By which I mean, maybe only a clean installation of Mafia would fix this problem, but I don't actually know enough to be certain.)

I simply don't believe she did it properly. I'll bet she was running a second character at the same time and messed herself up by not closing both.

A "clean" installation of mafia is absolutely unnecessary.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Some people like to be able to use override files, so Veracity left that functionality in place.
That is correct. What changed is that KoLmafia will no longer WRITE override files for you - the "update data" command is gone, and new items & effects change only the internal data but do not generate files - and will no longer automatically CLEAR them for you, except for a major version update - 14.5 -> 14.6, for example.

If you have them, you are stuck with them until you do "update clear" or I generate a new release and you upgrade.

That is correct. What changed is that KoLmafia will no longer WRITE override files for you - the "update data" command is gone, and new items & effects change only the internal data but do not generate files - and will no longer automatically CLEAR them for you, except for a major version update - 14.5 -> 14.6, for example.

If you have them, you are stuck with them until you do "update clear" or I generate a new release and you upgrade.

I guess the part I'm confused about is how I ended up with them. It's probable that I had a version that was still writing them. Are these created, fox example, when the version I'm running sees a new item, not yet in the mafia database, and does that parsing thing where it determines what the object does? If so, that may have been what did it for me.

I wasn't saying that - i don't think it was the locations file that was overridden. not knowing how mafia works puts me at a real disadvantage here, but i was assuming any override file could cause this sort of issue, even if it was for example an items override file.

Then I have no idea why an update clear worked. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the locations file that was showing up as being overridden. If you say that's the only way this could happen then I'll defer to your knowledge of the app and assume I was mistaken.