Bug - Fixed Logout/Login screen active selection box changed?

Neave

Not sure if this is a bug, just happening to me, or just something that bothers me but had a reason to be fixed.

Expected action:
1. Log in a character and run through turns
2. Log out to the log in screen again (I get this by "X"ing out of the main KoLMafia window)
3. I expect the cursor to be active for the character select dropdown so I can just keyboard arrow down to the other character I wish to run (I've been using the arrows at this point for months to select the other character I run)

What happens instead at step 3:
Upon log out, the log in screen is now being returned with the character dropbox active and it immediately "tabs" to the password box before user control is granted (I have passwords saved for both characters - in case it matters). It is either that or it returns to the log in screen already selected on the password field, but either way, I can't simply hit the down arrow a couple times to get to the next character and hit enter to log in. I can use the mouse for this, it's just a matter of having this habit and getting frustrated now that it doesn't behave the same for me.

Anyway - bug? Just me? Has a reason for having been altered in this way and won't change back? If I can get answers on those I can more easily make the mental shift to learn a new habit if my expected behaviour isn't going to return, or I can start troubleshooting on my end if it is just me.

Windows 7 64-bit home version
Java, just updated to release 1.6.0_29 - I think I was on 27 before - and this occurred on both versions

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I have no idea if this is how it's supposed to work or if it might be changed, but if your goal is to just use the keyboard you can Shift+Tab to the username field and then press the down arrow to choose a username. Shift+Tab works in most interfaces where Tab works.

Neave

*nod* that is a possible way for me to work around the altered focus point - but that way or just using the mouse will still require me to change my habits while playing. So, better to see if it can or will be changing back before I go through the hassle of trying to re-train myself out of one habit and into a new one. :)

And yeah, if it is a "bug", it's probably not one that bothers most people - but if I don't speak up then no one knows anyone at all has been bothered by the change as well. I'm okay with changing my habits, but I'd rather not change them if it is something that is likely to get changed back when/if someone else were to bring it up - so, I bring it up in hopes of some kind of "Oh, yeah...we can change that back, that just sneaked in with this line of code here" or even "Oh, yeah, to fix 'X' we had to make a change that changed this, it won't be changing back".

Neave

Sorry, I should have mentioned the version of Mafia I'm using...duh, I'm not sure when it started, but it was happening during whatever the latest version was when I posted, but it is happening on r10057 when I last updated using the updater that grabs the latest build available. Just testing now with r10058 and it still goes on to the password box instead of the user name box.

I can test with an older build if you have a recommendation or if you just need to know when it started. I just moved, so I missed about a week and a half of updates of Mafia, but I'll happily go track down when it started (unless I'm the only person seeing this change, in which case I'll work to track it down on my end)

slyz

Developer
Could you see if it happens with r10054 and r10055? Fronobulax seems to suspect a change in r10055.

Neave

It happens (the 'new' way) in both r10054 and r10055, I'm testing now going back through all of the older versions one by one until I locate it. Will update this post once I have a version number when the behaviour changed.

Edit: Okay, going by http://builds.kolmafia.us/ I tested r10032 and it has the behaviour I am used to. 33, 38, and 39 appear to be incomplete builds so I can't test those (and I just use a build grabber, I have no clue how to build my own to try getting working versions), but the issue starts with r10040 from what I am able to test. So, at some point between those two was a change that 'broke' it as far as the behaviour I'm looking for. I know that's a decent gap - if someone else can rebuild any of the intervening numbers, let me know and I'll be happy to look at them and see if I can pinpoint exactly when it changed in there.

I hope that helps at least some? I'd have brought up the question regarding the change before, but as I said, I just moved so was entirely offline for over a week.

Last edited:

Neave

Ah. Well, that explains that part at least. Hopefully at least knowing it happened somewhere in between r10032 and r10040 helps a little? I'd love to pinpoint further, but yeah, if they didn't compile I can't think of a way to narrow it further. :(

Neave

I'm not sure if I can, or how to do so if I'm able - but this appears to have been fixed sometime in the latest builds. I didn't pay close attention the last couple days, but it is certainly fixed in r10139 - if it was a side effect and not intentionally changed and you'd like me to figure out exactly which version fixed it - lemme know and I'll hunt it down. But, bug - fixed. Thank you to whoever managed to fix it!

Bale

Minion
Then it was probably fixed in r10123 which was addressing the problem with tabbing between login and password fields. Thank you for telling us. I'm marking this fixed.

Neave

Thank you for changing the label, I just wanted to make sure to note that it did get fixed, even though it wasn't likely on anyone's priority list :)