eclipse

bollwyvl

Does anyone use eclipse(http://www.eclipse.org) out there? It seems like a plugin for kolmafia would be pretty good: one could even leverage having the source of the kolmafia client around.

I don't know much about writing eclipse plugins(mainly using it for PHP and CFML development), but would take a stab at it if there was any interest beyond my own out there.

Heffed

I guess if I had more of an idea what Eclipse did, I could make a better comment, but I think anything that makes scripting easier could only be a good thing. :)

bollwyvl

From the link in the original post:
Eclipse is an open source community whose projects are focused on providing an extensible development platform and application frameworks for building software.

Essentially, it's a framework for building cross-platform text(and other) editors, hence its applicability to a niche language with a group of developers that work primarily in that language, i.e. ASH/CLI and us. If you are a developer outside of KoL interests, there are other advantages to using eclipse.

holatuwol

Developer
I started using Eclipse in writing KoLmafia itself with v6.9, and I like it. But, I can't imagine how Eclipse would be useful for KoLmafia scripting, given that scripts are, at their maximal complexity, just a collection of functions with a static set of datatypes. There's also no inheritance anywhere, so there's a very limited number of things you need to track.

bollwyvl

i guess my idea was that one could organize their own heirarchy of scripts as the complexity of the available base of user-created functions becomes greater, in addition to taming the average spaghetti code issue: even when working with non-OOP languages, I still find it very useful. however, since the outpouring of interest hasn't been overwhelming, i guess i'll just drop it :)