Feature - Rejected Save Connection Options

mredge73

I connect the same way every time I log on to Mafia.
But my connection options (connection tab) appear to be randomized each time.

For example, I connect to server 7 with all check boxes checked, always.
Next time I log on, server 3 is selected with the first checkbox unchecked.

Feature request is to save the options that I selected so that I don't have to change them every time I log on.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Not saving the server you want to connect to is by design, I expect, to help with load balancing. Occasionally you need to force a specific server due to KoL issues, but allowing people to conveniently connect to the same server every time could be a bad idea.

It seems like using a proxy is something that should be saved though, ideally.

Winterbay

The proxy setting is saved. At least my USB-stick version of Mafia seems to remember the proxy setting for me when I'm at work and go home where I have to untick it in order to play and then retick it when I get back to work.

mredge73

Everything is saved but the server and first check box.

No big deal to change it every time, I just thought for consistency that mafia could save those preferences too.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
You never said why you care about what server mafia connects to. I'm pretty sure the current setup is by design, so nothing will change without some reason why you want it done that way.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Agreed: KoL WANTS you to use the load balancer. Unless something is broken, it is to your benefit to let KoL shunt you to the least-loaded server. Therefore, although we allow you to select a specific server and ignore the load balancer, that's for emergencies, not as a general practice, and is not saved in the global preference file.

I'm rejecting this, unless you can come up with a convincing argument.

mredge73

I use mafia in a websense environment 90% of the time nowadays. For some odd reason server 7 (sometimes 5) is open but all other servers are blocked, including the image server.
I am forced to log on by ignoring the load balancer and choosing server 7 manually.
So I don't have a convincing argument and will have to continue logging on this way, no big deal.
Now I know why these two preferences are not saved. Thanks anyway.

Theraze

Heh. That was indeed about the only legitimate reason I could mentally come up with, though I didn't want to say if it wasn't the case.

If anything actually would be allowed for this, I'd suggest it be an extra-hidden setting... no default written to the logs for people to stumble into, not added to the wiki, just sets your connection server to whichever value is set if it's been manually created.

Rinn

Developer
If a connection is outright refused mafia could attempt to cycle through all the known servers, but that would be a separate feature request and probably of limited usage besides in edge cases like this.

Theraze

As well, with most well monitored web filters, if you hit blocked pages repeatedly, they pay more attention to where you go... that'd just be likely to get the 5/7 servers blocked for mredge as well.