Feature - Implemented The Universal Screwdriver can replace the Untinker

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
If you have a Loathing Legion universal screwdriver in inventory, it can and should be used in place of the Untinker. None of the messy checking whether the untinker is accessible and auto-completion of the quest and so on. Probably the best way to do this would be to put the support right into UntinkerRequest, so that the Untinker menu item and CLI command "just work".

Should we attempt to fold you a screwdriver if you ask to untinker, have no screwdriver, but have a Loathing Legion item available?

HippoKing

Absolutely. Any other way would make mafia users subject to the inherent fiddliness in the Knife's muscle sign replacing abilities.

I'd also ask you'd do the same thing with Smithing (when skills are used for those with innabox, and always for those without).

xKiv

Re:smithing.
That could be problematic - doesn't free smithing take precedence over Inigo's?
What if the player casts Inigo's to craft freely, then mafia uses up one jackhammer charge instead? Wasted Inigo's cast, unless the player wants to craft more things that can use freecraft.

Fluxxdog

Considering the Loathing knife doesn't have "equipped required" effects like the Juju mask, you can unequip it, fold it, untinker, refold it, and re-equip it. Sounds like a plan. Downside? If someone's is untinkering a bunch of stuff consecutively, that'd be 5 hits for each item. I wouldn't my flamethrower to turn in to a screwdriver, untinker, and then suddenly I got back in to battle with my bare hands.

Winterbay

I'd say if you fold it into a screwdriver to untinker something you should probably fold it back to whatever it was afterwards since you might get annoyed reports otherwise. But I don't have one so I wouldn't care any way :)

slyz

Developer
If someone's is untinkering a bunch of stuff consecutively, that'd be 5 hits for each item.
This would make using the Untinker the most server-friendly choice. Mafia could track if the quest was done via a preference, and use him before using the Universal Screwdriver if the quest was completed (or, if you are a muscle sign, complete the quest the first time UntinkerRequest is called).

Theraze

Alternatively, since we've already got confirm boxes popping up in some places (like where it asks if you want to complete the untinker quest), it could ask you every time it changes to the screwdriver if you'd like it to change back. Since most people want to reduce their frustration, they'll eventually move to clicking no, so it will just change once and they can refold it when it's over...

HippoKing

Do it every time, no confirmation. How many things really get untinkered? In run, Dictionary and maybe clockwork maid skull. In aftercore, people who are untinkering a large number of things will either keep it continually folded into a screwdriver, or spend the 5 turns to get the untinker unlocked.

Fluxxdog

How many things really get untinkered? In run, Dictionary and maybe clockwork maid skull.
At least until they make skulls untinkerable. Seriously though, this is a good point. Untinkering is ascension essential, but other than that, what do you really need to untinker on a common basis? Just the stuff Big Brother sells in the sea... Yeah, dont really care either ^^

please check for it and fold into screwdriver form for us, but please also fold it back and re-equip it, for instance, it was a necktie being worn at the time.

Untinker with legion screwdriver

I folded my legion screwdriver then tried to use the CLI to untinker my dictionary and it complained that I hadn't completed the untinkerers quest yet. Can mafia be updated to detect and the Legion screwdriver in this situation?

mad dudy

Use Loathing Legion universal screwdriver to untinker abridged dictionary

if i have Loathing Legion item it should change it to the screwdriver and untinker abridged dictionary automate not ask if i want to do the screwdriver quest.

chef noodleman

Does anyone know of a workaround for this in the meantime? I tried to make a short script using a visit_url call to inv_use.php to do the unscrewing (I do a similar thing to activate the GAP). But for some reason I can't even unscrew items from the minibrowser (I choose an item like the abridged dictionary and click 'unscrew', but my inventory is unchanged even after a refresh), so I imagine that's related to whatever is causing visit_url not to work. I didn't think this question was really worth a separate bug report, so I figured I'd just post it here.

nworbetan

I've spent a few minutes looking into whether this is simple enough that I can fix it (it's not), and there's a
Code:
case ItemPool.LOATHING_LEGION_UNIVERSAL_SCREWDRIVER:
in UseItemRequest.java that looks like someone intended it to let you untinker things with the loathing legion universal screwdriver. I don't know if that's something that got started but not finished, or if it worked at one time and has been broken since then, but whatever the reason, I'd be really happy if using
Code:
visit_url("inv_use.php?whichitem=4926&pwd&action=screw&dowhichitem=xxx");
in an ash script would completely bypass all the irrelevant untinker quest code.