Forgetting ascension rewards

Theraze

I've had it happen a few times where I've forgotten to open my Smoldering Box and pull out my Bad Moon (or whatever happened prior) reward on finishing up a BM ascension. Question I have is, what happens to this? Does it just get lost forever, does it stick around for the next one, or does something else happen? My current assumption is that it's lost and means I'm going to have to run another ascension to get that brimstone item, but I'm not certain on this, hence posting the question here...

The followup to this is, if it's lost, it should probably be added to the list of pre-ascension KoLmafia auto-used items, similar to the elite scroll and fisherman's sack. I'm just checking before getting the dreaded 'Not a bug' tag. :)

Before I either make a feature request or spin an update patch to post, what else should be added to this? Does undiscarded karma go away if you ascend with it in inventory, so an automatic discard be added?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
My current assumption is that it's lost and means I'm going to have to run another ascension to get that brimstone item, but I'm not certain on this, hence posting the question here...
Why do you "assume" that? If you have a gift box in inventory and ascend, the gift box goes into Hagnk's. If you pull it and open it, it contains whatever was sent in it. A smoldering box is a not a quest item. Therefore, when you ascend, it gets put into Hagnk's just like everything else. Why would you "assume" that the contents get lost, unlike gift boxes?

If so, that's clearly a KoL bug and we certainly would have heard about it long ago.

The followup to this is, if it's lost, it should probably be added to the list of pre-ascension KoLmafia auto-used items, similar to the elite scroll and fisherman's sack. I'm just checking before getting the dreaded 'Not a bug' tag. :)

Before I either make a feature request or spin an update patch to post, what else should be added to this? Does undiscarded karma go away if you ascend with it in inventory, so an automatic discard be added?
Instant Karma is not a quest item. Therefore, it does not "go away" if you ascend with it in inventory. Considering that discarding Instant Karma will override consumable ascension rewards, it would suck big time if KoLmafia auto-discarded it for you.

Please do not make a feature request to add more auto-use things to the pre-ascension list unless you can find genuine quest items that can be used or autosold that we don't already handle.

Thanks.

Theraze

I was assuming it because I had someone who finished their third BM ascension, had one Brimstone item that I pulled, one smoldering box (that I opened), and I couldn't find the third box. :)

Ah, if IK doesn't have an actual reason to discard besides making it available more quickly, it should definitely not be auto-discarded. I was pondering it on an "items that get lost" thought. Nevermind that then.

And yes, as you said, this is exactly why I put this here instead of making a feature request. I wanted to be certain that it was accurate first. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
If you look at the Display Case Database, you will see that 106 people have more than one smoldering box in their collection. They obviously do not "disappear" when you ascend.

If your character "finished their third BM ascension", they obviously won't have 3 Brimstone items yet. They will get the third one when they ascend again. And the fact that you pulled a smoldering box should have instantly told you that the smoldering box does not "disappear" when you ascend.

Theraze

I pulled the item, not the box. Did apparently have a mental blanking though between finishing my third and having the third item available. :)