Feature Finish DD before overdrinking

NardoLoopa

I realize this is completely my problem, but when I'm in a rush to finish turns for the day I often forget I've already done 6 adventures in the DD but not the last room yet. (usually this is because I'm saving it to burn off Teleports).

So, my suggestion is to prompt the user "Are you sure you want to over-drink before finishing the DD you started today?"

Bale

Minion
LOL! I've done the exact same thing a few times. If the DD has been started, but not finished, it might be nice to get that warning. This is really the user's responsibility though, so it shouldn't be a serious concern for the mafia devs.

Bale

Minion
I think you should make it so that it prompts you to overdrink if you still can eat or spleen

And that is probably the best reason not to implement this feature. Fear the slippery slope. Pretty soon there'd need to be prompts for everything.

NardoLoopa

The slippery slope is only something to keep an eye on in case you do things because of logical consistency rather than because they are useful or wanted. The slippery slope is that you use the slippery slope to avoid implementing good features. (See what I did there? ;) )

You can still eat and spleen when drunk so I'm not sure why someone would need that. But there are almost no cases where someone has started the DD and still wants to over-drink*. And unlike the over-drinking warning when you still have turns, this one would almost never trigger when you didn't actually want it to trigger.

* Only cases I can think of: 1) you don't have the turns to complete it anyway. 2) you were only there looking for a potato sprout

Theraze

Okay. As it had been a guaranteed amount of adventures before, you could predict whether or not it could be finished with a certain number of adventures remaining. Now the adventure count varies more based on your items, so I expect less people are bailing halfway through the dungeon, since there's no reason to start it and not finish it besides mayo wasp and other factoids, whereas before you could have been sprout-farming, which is the only reason I could think of dropping it part-way through...

Anyways, just hoped it could go away. If people think it's useful, great.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Is there a daily preference or something that has the state of the DD - not started, in progress, finished? I'd rather see this addressed by a preference and someone who didn't want to overdrink could wrap drinking in a script... For example, I have a wrapper around EatDrink (LastCall) that checks the things I pretty much want to finish before drinking and won't continue without doing them or having permission to do so.

For example, I have a wrapper around EatDrink (LastCall) that checks the things I pretty much want to finish before drinking and won't continue without doing them or having permission to do so.

Completely off-topic, so feel free to respond in a PM or kmail or whatever instead. How do you implement a wrapper like that? (ie. in what location, not the specific code.) Protection against premature overdrinking is a thing I've often found myself wanting.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Is there a daily preference or something that has the state of the DD - not started, in progress, finished? I'd rather see this addressed by a preference and someone who didn't want to overdrink could wrap drinking in a script... For example, I have a wrapper around EatDrink (LastCall) that checks the things I pretty much want to finish before drinking and won't continue without doing them or having permission to do so.

This is why "prefref" was added as a native command (to make these settings easier to find). The setting is _lastDailyDungeonRoom.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
This is why "prefref" was added as a native command (to make these settings easier to find). The setting is _lastDailyDungeonRoom.

Thank you. I don't always fire up mafia to answer questions before I open my mouth. That does suggest that this FR can be worked around.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Completely off-topic, so feel free to respond in a PM or kmail or whatever instead. How do you implement a wrapper like that? (ie. in what location, not the specific code.) Protection against premature overdrinking is a thing I've often found myself wanting.

I have two scripts. One (FirstCall) calls EatDrink with parameters that tell it not to overdrink, but fill everything else, and the other (LastCall) allows ED to overdrink. I manually invoke FirstCall when I'm ready and LastCall as part of Logout and I am self-disciplined enough to not consume otherwise. Does that make sense or did my initial comment suggest something else?

Does that make sense or did my initial comment suggest something else?

Ah. That does make sense. I originally thought you meant you were somehow intercepting normal consume requests, eg. overloading theFunctionThatMafiaUsesToDrinkBooze() or something. (with protectAgainstOverdrink == true, Mafia asks me, "Are you sure you want to overdrink?" but it would be cool to customize that to say "Are you sure you want to overdrink? You didn't fight in the Snojo, or get all of your familiar drops, or do X, Y, or Z yet."

Thanks for the explanation!

Last edited: