Bug - Fixed People -> Purchase Buffs has been hanging lately

It just hangs on "Configurig Dynamic Buff Prices ..."

Not all of the time, but frequently.

I'm wondering if one of the web servers is down. If so, does it know to eventually time out and
move on?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
It hanged for me this morning. I shut down and restarted and had no problem. I did not have the patience, after two or three minutes, to see whether it would time out and recover.

DoctorRotelle

Developer
I too have been experiencing this issue. When a buffbot's feed is not working properly, this hang issue tends to happen. This is not the first time I've seen it either. I'm beginning to think we need to come up with a new method of informing potential new buffbots the ins and outs of setting one up properly for mafia inclusion. On a few occasions I've sent off kmails to folks controlling bots to ask them to update their feed page when their prices got changed. It would appear that the latest wave of issues is stemming from a plethora of issues:

Kolabuff and Testudinata's website show's a page error when looking for the XML stylesheet, but the actual XML is there and available. NO points to the forums (no specific page, as is expected.) Niten points to a holder page indicating the site is no longer being ran or maintained at this address (perhaps someone didn't renew the DNS for the server), as this is the same server as The Professor, the issue carries over. zonkttc's page shows up, too bad he's rarely online and functioning (Last Login: May 05, 2010)! Notbot has a good page and appears online.

Hoping this helps!
-=DoctorRotelle

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
It has been happening for a long time (years) for me. I only get buffs with one character and I do the stop and restart because fetch "hangs" no more than once or twice a month. I have not looked at the code but I presume mafia is visiting some other site to gather data. Thus I have previously dismissed it as lag or a time out not being handled nicely. I wonder if mafia's handling of external URLs is as robust as it could be given my own problems with fetching data from JickenWings but at the moment it seems to be beyond my current skill set and not really on anyone else's list of things to look at and fix.